Does anybody have 64-bit flash working?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Does anybody have 64-bit flash working? Reply with quote

Some of the (now obsolete) versions (such as 10.2.153.1_p201011173 and 10.2.159.1_p201011173) worked fine, but with all of the 11.* versions, I get absolutely nothing when I try to do anything with flash. I am using opera 11.51.1087.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11.* works fine for me and many others in Firefox -- sounds like an Opera problem.

A potential easy fix: are you running Turbo? If so, deactivate it.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
11.* works fine for me and many others in Firefox -- sounds like an Opera problem.

OK. I made a post to an Opera list seeking more information.

Hypnos wrote:
A potential easy fix: are you running Turbo? If so, deactivate it.

Not running turbo.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possibly related bug on Gentoo Bugzilla.
opotonil
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-890928-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-opera+flash.html
soka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using opera 11.51 and flash 11.0.1.129 works for me.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soka wrote:
I'm using opera 11.51 and flash 11.0.1.129 works for me.
++
Princess Nell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's not Gentoo, another data point: I only got flash to work with ff 6.x under CentOS5 x86_64 with the arrival of 11.x. Not a chance with the wrapped 10.x version.
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:
A possibly related bug on Gentoo Bugzilla.

Possibly related, but not helpful, since the bug seems more concerned with the 32-bit plugin.

opotonil wrote:
You can try this

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-890928-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-opera+flash.html

I am not really sure what to try out of that post, but I AM using the nvidia drivers, which apparently could serve as a partial explanation for the problem.

I see that developers have recently marked a newer version of the nvidia driver stable, so I guess the first thing to do is update that (which I hope will fix the annoying problem of black boxes randomly appearing in the display, as well).
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Maybe www-plugins/gnash is worth a try.
It did not work well for a long time, but I am using it with opera for some weeks now and even if it is marked as "under development" I did not have any issues.
A further advatage is that gnash is not affected by the zillions of flash vulnerabilities ;-)
Be sure to have the nsplugin build flag set in order to get the browser plugin built.

tom
wolfieh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnash doesn't work with youtube

unmasking adobe-flash 11 worked fine for me, it fixed that nasty bug of flash displaying on black areas of other tabs
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom69 wrote:
Maybe www-plugins/gnash is worth a try.

This will probably sound like heresy (coming from a gentoo user), but I might consider it if there were a binary package available.

I have a huge antipathy to the bloatware that is xulrunner, and having to install the archaic autoconf 2.13 just for this one package? No, thank you.

After many more hours of research, it seems that there is weird problem between gentoo (and sabayon), opera, and the nvidia 270.* drivers. Upgrading to nvidia-drivers-275.09.07 got flash working again.

http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2011/06/29/i-need-feedback-from-gentoo-and-sabayon-users

wolfieh wrote:

Not a fatal flaw as far as I am concerned. I vastly prefer to watch video in a "real" media player (actually that is true of so many types of files, such as .pdf documents, that some people seem to think belong in a browser with a boatload of plugins), and downloading from youtube is (at this moment) a solved problem.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine here with firefox 3.6 Nvidia drivers on one machine, intel on the other
tomtom69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

curmudgeon wrote:

I have a huge antipathy to the bloatware that is xulrunner, and having to install the archaic autoconf 2.13 just for this one package? No, thank you.

xulrunner is a really large package. Just saw it is a dependency of gnash, but I have it installed anyway because I still have firefox (src) installed. However I do not know why gnash depends on such a god^H^H^Hmozilla package like xulrunner ;-)

curmudgeon wrote:

Upgrading to nvidia-drivers-275.09.07 got flash working again.

I "updated" from nvidia to nouveau 2 weeks ago. Used the nvidia binary blob for ~1 year because me=idiot had installed xf86-video-nv before, thinking this was nouveau and had unbearably performance, even under 2D...

wolfieh wrote:

Here it works using opera without any issues.

tom
Watcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: gnash is great Reply with quote

Gnash is great!

Just made gnash work with firefox 7. I'm surprised on how well it works. My advice is that you should only have one version of boost installed prior to emerging gnash. Otherwise it may build fine but it won't work.

Edit: I'm talking about the unstable version in portage: www-plugins/gnash-0.8.9
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: gnash is great Reply with quote

Watcom wrote:
Gnash is great!

Just made gnash work with firefox 7. I'm surprised on how well it works. My advice is that you should only have one version of boost installed prior to emerging gnash. Otherwise it may build fine but it won't work.

Edit: I'm talking about the unstable version in portage: www-plugins/gnash-0.8.9

gnash requires gstreamer, not all like gstreamer.
I'm one of them.

I use 64 bit flash without any problem
myceliv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. ~amd64 flash has given me no problems >99% of the time for last three years. Not sure if that helps you any though.

Edit: Ah, good, I can add some things possibly helpful: I've always used 64bit multilib -32bit -bindist -kde and vdpau doesn't seem to matter either way even on supported GPU. Always using latest firefox with flashblock. Use xulrunner for many purposes and have binhost so somewhat generic 64bit builds. Nvidia proprietary, amd open source, and intel drivers. A few times tried lightspark and gnash over last 1.5 years but found them unsuitable for my use cases.

Last edited by myceliv on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
billium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on ~amd64, have Nvidia, and flash is broken in Firefox & Chrome. I am all up to date with exception of xorg server which is not compatible with the nvidia driver.

No big loss tho' :)
Arkhelion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
www-plugins/adobe-flash
     Available versions:  10.3.183.7!m!s 10.3.183.10!m!s (~)11.0.1.152!m!s {+32bit +64bit bindist kde multilib vdpau}
     Installed versions:  Version: 11.0.1.152!m!s
                          USE:     64bit multilib vdpau -32bit -bindist -kde

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
     Available versions:  96.43.19!s ~96.43.20!s 173.14.30!s ~173.14.31!s 270.41.19!s 275.09.07!s [M]~275.28!s [M]~280.13!s [M]~285.03!s (~)285.05.09!s {acpi custom-cflags gtk kernel_linux multilib}
     Installed versions:  Version: 285.05.09!s
                          USE:     acpi gtk kernel_linux multilib -custom-cflags

www-client/chromium
     Available versions: 
   (0)   14.0.835.163 14.0.835.202 ~15.0.874.83 ~15.0.874.92 [M]~16.0.899.0 [M]~16.0.904.0-r1 [M]~16.0.904.0-r2
   (live)   [M]**9999-r1
   {bindist chromedriver cups gnome gnome-keyring kerberos [...] pulseaudio test}
     Installed versions:  Version: 14.0.835.202
                          USE:     cups gnome gnome-keyring linguas_fr -bindist -kerberos [...] -test

Works like a charm!

As for alternatives, I read somewhere that LightSpark could be worth a try.

Code:
www-plugins/lightspark
     Available versions:  ~0.5.0 {nsplugin profile pulseaudio rtmp sdl}
     Homepage:            http://lightspark.sourceforge.net/
     Description:         High performance flash player

billium
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem my flash works both in chromium and firefox. It is shockwave that shows as a missing plugin. In Google+ I cannot see anyone, inluding my camera, but remote users can see me, and I assumed Google+ uses flash. Sorry for the noise. :roll:
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seems to work with Firefox, and probably with Icecat but I removed that few days ago and not going to get it back just yet, but it does not work with Opera.
I've had that problem for quite a while, if not always. I can't remember anymore! I really can't remember if I ever had 64bit working. Maybe around nvidia-drivers 26x but am really unsure. And I think a driver-rollback did not help, if I'm not mistaken.

Code:
Opera Plugin Proxy: Launching wrapper : /usr/lib64/opera//operapluginwrapper
Opera Plugin Proxy: with plugin       : /opt/Adobe/flash-player/plugin/libflashplayer.so
Starting new operapluginwrapper process, parameters:
PARAM: /usr/lib64/opera//operapluginwrapper-native
PARAM: 41
PARAM: 65
PARAM: /opt/Adobe/flash-player/plugin/libflashplayer.so
OperaPluginWrapper: ProbePlugin - Library     /opt/Adobe/flash-player/plugin/libflashplayer.so
OperaPluginWrapper: ProbePlugin - Description Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1
OperaPluginWrapper: ProbePlugin - Enabling security issue workaround for flash 5 to 9
OperaPluginWrapper: ProbePlugin - Enabling ignore of NPP_HandleEvent result
OperaPluginWrapper: ProbePlugin - Trying to set G_SLICE to always-malloc to prevent crashes in the FlashPlayer
OperaPluginWrapper: ProbePlugin - Try to set XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS to 1 to avoid problems with composite extension

--------------------------------------------------------
OperaPluginWrapper((null)): Segmentation fault
OperaPluginWrapper((null)): Attempt to print the stack from the signal handler

0:       0x32810         /lib64/libc-2.12.2.so

Use 'addr2line -f -C -e libname addr' to show code line this corresponds to

--------------------------------------------------------
Opera Plugin Proxy: pluginWrapper::startPlugin(/opt/Adobe/flash-player/plugin/libflashplayer.so) failed
Opera Plugin Proxy: Could not start up plugin
Opera Plugin Proxy: ~pluginWrapper()
Opera Plugin Proxy: pluginWrapper::releaseMemory
Opera Plugin Proxy: getwrapper(/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins/libflashplayer.so) failed
Opera Plugin Proxy: setwindow with 0 pluginWrapper

I haven't really debugged it yet, cause well, 32bit works just fine, too!

Code:
www-plugins/adobe-flash-11.0.1.152 was built with the following:
USE="32bit 64bit kde (multilib) -bindist -vdpau"

www-client/opera-11.51.1087 was built with the following:
USE="gstreamer gtk kde (multilib)" LINGUAS="en_GB fi ja -af -az -be -bg -bn -cs -da -de -el -es_ES -es_LA -et -fr -fr_CA -fy -gd -hi -hr -hu -id -it -ka -ko -lt -me -mk -ms -nb -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sr -sv -sw -ta -te -th -tl -tr -uk -uz -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu"   

www-client/firefox-7.0.1-r1 was built with the following:
USE="alsa crashreporter dbus debug ipc (multilib) webm -bindist -custom-cflags -custom-optimization -libnotify -pgo -startup-notification -system-sqlite -wifi" LINGUAS="en en_GB en_US fi ja -af -ak -ar -ast -be -bg -bn -bn_BD -bn_IN -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en_ZA -eo -es -es_AR -es_CL -es_ES -es_MX -et -eu -fa -fr -fy -fy_NL -ga -ga_IE -gd -gl -gu -gu_IN -he -hi -hi_IN -hr -hu -hy -hy_AM -id -is -it -kk -kn -ko -ku -lg -lt -lv -mai -mk -ml -mr -nb -nb_NO -nl -nn -nn_NO -nso -or -pa -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -pt_PT -rm -ro -ru -si -sk -sl -son -sq -sr -sv -sv_SE -ta -ta_LK -te -th -tr -uk -vi -zh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu"

x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-285.05.09 was built with the following:
USE="acpi gtk (multilib) -custom-cflags"

Will try compiling adobe-flash with -32bit soon and see if that makes any difference.

Edit:

Just did a really quick test, and with -32bit, Firefox still has it working, and indeed, Opera does not. Will investigate more some other day... purrrhaps. But like I mentioned, 32bits works quite fine for this. I mostly use mplayer2 to watch the 'flash' videos that I oft gaze upon. They are not even compressed as flv but mp4 or some other instead, usually. There still are some people using flashy ones, but even for those, I'll just download them and use 'my own' players. ^^

Oh and for what it's worth, I managed to get some funky glitches via vdpau, instead of any performance increase...

Also I don't know what I'm doing wrong with Firefox, but it doesn't want to use the 32bit plugin if it adobe-flash was built with 64bit support. Mainly noticed this as some flash-applications refuse to work with the 64bit one.

Edit Part Deux:

Noticed this from the thread opera 11.10 and no flash? (other browsers fine though):

Ruarí Ødegaard @ my.opera.com wrote:
A quick test for those of you running 64-bit Opera on 64-bit Gentoo/Sabayon, who are also attempting to use the 64-bit Flash plugin.

Edit the operapluginwraper startup script and add the following on a line of its own, at the top just after the initial comment section:

Code:
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0

Re-start Opera and try again to use Flash.

When replying to confirm if or not this worked please confirm that you did test with 64-bit Opera on 64-bit Gentoo/Sabayon, with 64-bit Flash, so that the results are not muddied by people who did not read this comment carefully. :wink:

Doing this will indeed make the segmentation fault not show up. ^^
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: