View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anand.bonde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: xterm repaint problem Reply with quote

I'm using xterm on Gentoo Linux. After working with xterm for a while (typing many characters/commands), suddenly, xterm stops painting (rendering text). The caret seems to be frozen. The text is rendered correctly only after I shift focus to some other window and back to xterm (or move the xterm window).

All other applications (except kvm-qemu - vncviewer and flash), which are giving me similar problems, work just fine. I have tried recompiling the kernel with various frame-buffer/video driver options - but no go. Also tried re-emerging xterm with USE="X". I am gonna try and re-emerge video drivers today...

Has anybody encountered this problem? Any clues?

Version details:
1) # X -version
X.Org X Server 1.10.4 X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 x86_64
Gentoo Current Operating System: Linux 2.6.39-gentoo-r3 #2 SMP x86_64
2) xorg-drivers-1.10 (VIDEO_CARDS="intel")
3) XTerm(271)

mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having this problem on and off for a while. I recently noticed that I seem to see the problem only when I have a window open underneath the terminal (in my case I'm using aterm, but it has the same issue as xterm). Specifically I see the problem (sometimes) when I have a terminal on top of chromium and sometimes openoffice. If I shade the window the problem goes away.

I think it's an X problem, but I haven't been able to determine what exactly might be happening.
schlumpf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: same problem, no solution yet Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. Apart from xterm, emacs is also affected.

I'm using fluxbox window manager and I think it may be realted to that, because I'm using multiple workspaces and they seem to be messed up as well - windows seem to be moving from one workspace to another; when I switch workspaces sometimes there are not the same windows there on that workspace which were there when I last saw it. Or is this a different issue?

My configuration:
gentoo-sources 2.6.39-gentoo-r3
Xorg-server 1.10.4
xorg-drivers 1.10 (intel)
fluxbox 1.3.1

any help highly appreciated!
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@schlumpf - This sounds like a different issue and something related to fluxbox specifically. I have never really used fluxbox so I wouldn't know what might be the issue. You will likely have a better response if you start a thread specifically about this issue.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: