[SOLVED] Trying to install Gentoo on a 1st Generation aTV
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorningWood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Trying to install Gentoo on a 1st Generation aTV Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I'm kind of new here so please bear with me as I try to explain what I'm doing. Having always wanted to both try out Gentoo and get rid of the stock OS-X lite install on my apple tv, I set out to install Gentoo on my ATV following this guide. There are a few guides out there to help you along the way but it seems that most of the are out of date and this one is ultimately exactly what I am trying to accomplish (ultra lightweight install w/ XBMC) but I keep running into a problem.

I have been trying over and over...and over again to get this install to boot but I keep getting stuck at the step right before installing packages where it says "It should take a few seconds, then show Tux on the AppleTV. It will boot the atv-bootloader install, then it will find your grub's menu.lst and splice over to whatever kernel you have listed in there. If everything goes as planned, you should end up at a happy gentoo login prompt! Congratulations!"

It seems as if my atv-bootloader isn't splicing over to the compiled kernel.

I am following the directions word by word with the exception of:

/boot/grub menu.lst is shown as found so I am almost positive it has to do with the kernel configuration but what exactly I haven't the slightest clue.

I am using the latest stage3 and portage tars and keep getting stuck on the "jump to new kernel" message on atv-bootloader.
Any help would be appreciated seen as how I've spent nearly 2 weeks on this pulling out my hair. I just want it to boot.

I apologize for not including any logs but to be honest I have no idea where to look. I am doing all of this via telnet and without booting into the install, cannot even deploy telnet to get any details other than what is displayed on my TV.

E: Forgot to include that the kernel is gentoo-sources 3.0.6

EDIT: Solved! It was completely unrelated to Gentoo. Turns out that after using recovery-0.6, it booted up fine. :D

Last edited by MorningWood on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
MorningWood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including a crappy photo "screenshot" of said output.

http://i.imgur.com/vfeeq.jpg
MorningWood
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the help of a friend, I got the system installed properly using a mixture of the guide listed above and using the symlinks steps (renamed of course) from this guide. Then we hosed it. :(

We set grub.conf to:

Code:
timeout 10
default 0
title Gentoo
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/kernel-3.0.6 video=vesafb root=/dev/hda4

and updated the mbr via
wget http://atv-bootloader.googlecode.com/files/mbr_fast-1.0.bin
dd if=mbr_fast-1.0.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

Now retracing our steps, it still won't work. I'm about to cry here.

I've tried setting root in grub to hda4,hdb4,sda4,sdb4 and likewise with the mbr. I don't know wtf happened last time that we miraculously got it to cooperate.

As before, any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: