Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]How do you stop conky disappearing fromgnomedesktop?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED]How do you stop conky disappearing fromgnomedesktop? Reply with quote

The full title I wanted was how do you stop conky disappearing from the gnome desktop after the first mouseclick?

I've searched and tried the various "solutions" but they don't work for me. Current configuration is

Code:
alignment top_right
background yes
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color black
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
use_xft yes
xftfont DejaVu Sans Mono:size=10
gap_x 5
gap_y 30
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
out_to_stderr no
extra_newline no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type desktop
stippled_borders 0
update_interval 1.0
uppercase no
use_spacer none
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no
own_window_transparent yes

Don't know if it makes any difference but I start it as a Startup Application.

Last edited by Trog Dog on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you stop conky disappearing from gnome desktop? Reply with quote

Trog Dog wrote:
The full title I wanted was how do you stop conky disappearing from the gnome desktop after the first mouseclick?

I've searched and tried the various "solutions" but they don't work for me.

I am using fvwm myself, so I do not know about the particulars of gnome. In any case:

- What solutions have you tried?
- Is conky running after the 'mouseclick'? 'ps -C conky'
- If it is running, it appears back after 'killall -SIGUSR1 conky'?
- It may be the case that another application is drawing the root window. In this case:

http://conky.sourceforge.net/faq.html wrote:
Conky won't stop flickering

A: Conky is designed to draw to the root desktop window. However, there are several other applications which like drawing to the root desktop window. Because of this, Conky has two options available to get around this problem:
- You can try enabling double-buffer. Conky's double-buffer option uses the X double-buffer extension to provide a flicker-free Conky. This can be done by running Conky with the '-b' parameter, or adding this to your conkyrc:

double_buffer yes

- Conky can run in windowed mode, meaning that instead of drawing the the root window it draws to it's own window. You can move this window around and resize it by right-clicking or left-clicking on the window while holding down the Alt key. This can be accomplished by running Conky with the '-o' parameter, or by adding the following to your conkyrc:

own_window yes

Also, in conky man page:

http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html wrote:
Drawing to root or some other desktop window directly doesn't work with all window managers. Especially doesn't work well with Gnome and it has been reported that it doesn't work with KDE either. Nautilus can be disabled from drawing to desktop with program gconf-editor. Uncheck show_desktop in /apps/nautilus/preferences/. There is -w switch in Conky to set some specific window id. You might find xwininfo -tree useful to find the window to draw to. You can also use -o argument which makes Conky to create its own window. If you do try running Conky in its own window, be sure to read up on the own_window_type settings and experiment.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: How do you stop conky disappearing from gnome desktop? Reply with quote

mimosinnet wrote:

- What solutions have you tried?

various own_window settings and types
mimosinnet wrote:

- Is conky running after the 'mouseclick'? 'ps -C conky'

Code:
ps -C conky
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
 2240 ?        00:36:34 conky

mimosinnet wrote:

- If it is running, it appears back after 'killall -SIGUSR1 conky'?

yes
mimosinnet wrote:

- It may be the case that another application is drawing the root window. In this case:

http://conky.sourceforge.net/faq.html wrote:
Conky won't stop flickering

A: Conky is designed to draw to the root desktop window. However, there are several other applications which like drawing to the root desktop window. Because of this, Conky has two options available to get around this problem:
- You can try enabling double-buffer. Conky's double-buffer option uses the X double-buffer extension to provide a flicker-free Conky. This can be done by running Conky with the '-b' parameter, or adding this to your conkyrc:

double_buffer yes

You bloody legend mimosinnet, thanks to your post (adding double_buffer yes) and changing the the own_window_type to override (was desktop) I now have conky that stays visible. Cheers mate, thanks heaps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: