View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Gnome 3 issues/questions Reply with quote

I just noticed that gnome-shell has become available in portage. I unmasked it and I must say it's quite a new experience. However, there are some things that I don't understand and need some help with. I'd be very grateful if any of you could help me out with any of the following:
  • How do I hide Firefox's title bar?
  • How do I change my fonts and icons?
  • How do I edit the application launcher menu entries? (i.e. do what Alacarte did in Gnome 2)
  • I have a dual Intel/Radeon graphics setup. If I enable both of those cards/screens in xorg.conf, Gnome 3 segfaults all over the place and I can't get a usable desktop. Obviously this is a bug, but are the Gentoo devs accepting bugs for hardmasked packages?
  • I use AWN to manage my windows, so I don't need the 'Windows' tab in the activities menu. Can I remove it?
  • Speaking of window management, can I get the maximize and minimize buttons back?
  • I feel like an idiot for asking, but how do I switch workspaces? Ctrl+Alt+[arrow key] doesn't do it :P
Thanks for any help you can provide (and sorry it's such a long list) :D
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 3 issues/questions Reply with quote

Quote:

[*]How do I hide Firefox's title bar?
What do you mean by title bar? The WM bar or the entry in hte top bar?

Quote:
[*]How do I change my fonts and icons?
emerge gnome-tweak-tool

Quote:
[*]How do I edit the application launcher menu entries? (i.e. do what Alacarte did in Gnome 2)
as of yet no way

Quote:

[*]I have a dual Intel/Radeon graphics setup. If I enable both of those cards/screens in xorg.conf, Gnome 3 segfaults all over the place and I can't get a usable desktop. Obviously this is a
bug, but are the Gentoo devs accepting bugs for hardmasked packages?
They accept bugs for any packages in the main tree so yes

Quote:

[*]I use AWN to manage my windows, so I don't need the 'Windows' tab in the activities menu. Can I remove it?
In theory yes - gnome3 has a pretty extensive extension/scriptable backend but unless someone has done it and you don't want to write one then no
Quote:

[*]Speaking of window management, can I get the maximize and minimize buttons back?
yes, there is a gconf/dconf option for it BUT gnome-tweak-tool is the best tool for the job. it is part of gnome

[
Quote:
*]I feel like an idiot for asking, but how do I switch workspaces? Ctrl+Alt+[arrow key] doesn't do it :P[/list]Thanks for any help you can provide (and sorry it's such a long list) :D
[/quote]
desktops in gnome3 are arrange vertically not horizontally so CTRL-ALT+up/down. Also if you go via activities and move the mouse to the far right you get a popout of your desktops
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 3 issues/questions Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answers :D

Naib wrote:
What do you mean by title bar? The WM bar or the entry in hte top bar?
I meant the WM bar but I wouldn't mind getting rid of ALL entries in the top bar (not just firefox) either, now that you mentioned it :P

Quote:
desktops in gnome3 are arrange vertically not horizontally so CTRL-ALT+up/down.
Is there any way to add 2 more desktops horizontally, yielding a 2x2 setup?
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. aaaaand I broke it. Gnome doesn't start anymore, segfaulting in libgbm.so.1.0. Wonderful.

I guess those packages were masked for a reason :P
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd, werks4me.

but to be fair gnome3·2 is better and more stable but that is in the overlay
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from unsupported to Desktop Environments, as Gnome3 is now in portage, albeit masked

(I have nothing else to contribute to this thread, however)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: