Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Install bootstrap:j2sdk-1_4_1-doc.zip not found? Halted?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Install bootstrap:j2sdk-1_4_1-doc.zip not found? Halted? Reply with quote

Hello all!!

Not sure what happened here. Doing an install...during bootstrap.sh phase...it stopped with these messages:

emerge (17 of 86) dev-java/java-sdk-docs-1.4.1 to /
!!! j2sdk-1_4_1-doc.zip not found in /usr/portage/distfiles

!!! def-java/java-sdk-docs-1.4.1 has fetch restriction turned on.
!!! This probably means that this ebuild's files must be downloaded
!! manually. See the comments in the ebuild for more information.

*Please download j2sdk-1_4_1-doc.zip from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html and move it to /usr/portage/distfiles

Hope no typos...doing this by hand.

What has happened here? I've never had bootstrap blow up with missing files before?? I've never messed with the portage directory yet...and not sure exactly what to do.

If I go to this site and get the file and place it in place....do I just run bootstrap.sh again? Will it start all over or do I somehow need to tell it to start where it left off?

I've never had an install...this is #3 mess up like this before...not sure what happened, nor what exactly to do...instructions don't cover this...
:-)

Any suggestions, tips or links greatly appreciated...nothing in the forums I've found so far like this...

cayenne
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove docs support in make.conf -docs.

Q
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:
remove docs support in make.conf -docs.

Q

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
I'll do this...

However, what do I do next? Do I start bootstrap script again? Do I need to do anything else first?

Thanx!!

cayenne
wmgoree
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: j2sdkdoc Reply with quote

raid's suggestion works.

You can also take "doc" out of your "use" variable, most easily in the "use" line of /etc/make.conf (no doubt you know where that is, but lurkers may not).

Alternately, you can do what I did, and download the huge zip file (24 Megs if I recall) and put it in /usr/portage/distfiles (it's Sun's massive Java API/library documentation). If you do a lot of Java programming, it's well worth it.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if bootstrap fails... That kind of says it in a nutshell really... You don't always have to start the process over again. The install is broken into stages, so if one stage fails it is only that stage you need to redo... Not always fun and games admittedly, but it's something I guess. Just be sure once Gentoo is installed to ghost your drive immediately and at regular intervals thereafter, so you never have to go through this instal process again.

Q
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: One thing Reply with quote

<gotta add this...while tabbing up through history of commands..this was NOT during bootstrap.sh...was during emerge system!!!!!!!!! Does this change what your comments were...sorry..doing this over like 3 days as I have time...messed up on this point...>

8o 8O

Just in case there is confusion...

This isn't my 3rd-4th install on the same box...totally diff. box...changing from wiping out old RedHat to Gentoo on this one...

Ok..one thing I thought of...after the step where I emerge sync...it said to possible do a emerge update of portage...at the end of the messages from emerge sync.

The documentation didn't say to update the portage...and I seem to remember you do that after the bootstrap anyway...would this have made a difference?

In the meantime...I'm going to -doc in the USE flag....and run bootstrap.sh again, and see what happens...

If I'm making a HUGE mistake...please write back to this quickly...

cayene 8O
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well firstly the docs do tell you to update portage. This is among one of the first things it tells you to do. Second I cannot tell what you are doing right or wrong, as what you are saying isn't very clear. I suspect this is because you are not reading the docs closely enough. Read them carefully and when you understand them fully come back and tell us exactly what parts you have problems with. Normally though, if you follow the docs there shouldn't be any. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it's true.

As for adding or removing options, you can do that at pretty much any point in the install. (Just so long as you don't have a process on going, eg, you are in the middle of compiling something). That is what Gentoo is about. Customisation. You are in control. Hopefully that is the reason you chose Gentoo in the first place. If not, there may be alternatives.

Q
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Thanks..but... Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:
Well firstly the docs do tell you to update portage. This is among one of the first things it tells you to do. Second I cannot tell what you are doing right or wrong, as what you are saying isn't very clear. I suspect this is because you are not reading the docs closely enough. Read them carefully and when you understand them fully come back and tell us exactly what parts you have problems with. Normally though, if you follow the docs there shouldn't be any. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear but it's true.

As for adding or removing options, you can do that at pretty much any point in the install. (Just so long as you don't have a process on going, eg, you are in the middle of compiling something). That is what Gentoo is about. Customisation. You are in control. Hopefully that is the reason you chose Gentoo in the first place. If not, there may be alternatives.

Q

Thank you so much for the info and suggestions, I think I'm back on track. But, in reference to you statement about the instructions...and following them to the 't'...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

I looked...and at the part between emerge sync...and emerge system...says nothing about emerge -U portage..or emerge portage.

While I don't claim to be infallible...I do strive to follow directions on this as best I can...and if you look...I didn't miss this..not in the documentation at this point to to update portage after emerge sync....nor before emerge system.

Just a semi-newbie here..following how a complete newbie would be doing.....if we're going to bring people over to this distro...need to spell it out as clearly as possible for the 'unwashed' masses.....

Thanks again for the help...but, just wanted to clarify on this...and if I missed it...please point the paragraph I missed...

cayenne
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The docs don't just amount to one page, as I recall the old 1.4 RC4 docs (which was the last time I looked) had links to a discussion of portage. Just folow the links too and all will be revealed.

What you are confusing is updating the portage tree and emerge -u system are exactly the same thing. That is what this command does and means. That is certainly in the docs. That is why i wondered if you really were reading them very closely. Lapses in attention can prove to be a problem.I know this to my cost.

Q
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:
What you are confusing is updating the portage tree and emerge -u system are exactly the same thing.

:?: :?: :?:

No wonder you are having such a difficult time installing Gentoo.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as far as I'm aware emerge -u system brings your portage directory and your system fully up to date. emerge sync merely syncs your portage directory with what is available on the servers

I was merely pointing out that by this stage this guys system would have been fully in sync.

Or is there a problem with that?

Q.

PS

Anyway for me the struggle is over. I have gentoo installed (for something like the 20th time now) and fate willing, as soon as I get the chance and get X alsa and kde runnning, I intend to do a backup (and regular backups thereafter) so I never have to install gentoo again.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so that n00bs reading this don't get too confused, I would like to define a few terms :

Updating the portage tree.
This populates the /usr/portage directory with the latest .ebuild files so that the emerge command will know what packages are available and how to build them.
Code:
# emerge sync

Updating your base system.
This compiles and installs any updated base system packages (the packages found in a stage3 tarball).
Code:
# emerge -u system

Updating portage.
This installs the latest portage package.
Code:
# emerge -u portage
If you are starting your installation from stage1 or stage2, do not update portage until you are finished installing your base system. If you try to update portage as soon as "emerge sync" prints the message that a portage update is available, it will fail when trying to compile dependencies at this early stage.
dhunter383
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Another way of solving the Java docs issue Reply with quote

Though it certainly will work to go to a -docs in your USE variables, if you want the docs, (as I did) you can also do what emerge suggested when it died - go to java.sun.com, download the 1.4.1 doc file and move it /usr/portage/distfiles. Once you've done this, you should be able to re-emerge, with no further problems on this issue.

Hope that helps,

Dylan
dhunter383
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Whoops, forgot... Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot - you'll need to emerge lynx so that you can click "Accept" link after the legaleze.

Dylan
ClippyHater
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the very same problem here. Put -java -jikes -docs in my make.conf, but emerge system still attempts to install the java docs.

And I can't emerge lynx, since it has the java docs as a dependency. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
ClippyHater
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly me, I had -docs, not -doc. Doh!
Vortrex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another way of solving the Java docs issue Reply with quote

dhunter383 wrote:
Though it certainly will work to go to a -docs in your USE variables, if you want the docs, (as I did) you can also do what emerge suggested when it died - go to java.sun.com, download the 1.4.1 doc file and move it /usr/portage/distfiles. Once you've done this, you should be able to re-emerge, with no further problems on this issue.

Hope that helps,

Dylan

And how would i go about downloading it from the command line?
Thanks
dhunter383
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: D/L Java Docs Reply with quote

Hey Vortrex,

Once you've clicked "accept" at the bottom of the Java legalese, it should prompt you whether you want to D/L or not. A simple yes and you should find it in whatever directory you are in at the time - just mv it to /usr/portage/distfiles and all should be well.

As to the Java dependency for Lynx, presuming you want java on your box in the first place, leave java in your USE tags, and all should work fine.

Hope those help,

Dylan
enloop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: What To Do If Boostrap Aborts the Instal?? Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:
Well if bootstrap fails...
Q

Good point. Please check out two earlier posts today, one from me, that point to boostrap aborting a stage1 install because it can't find a file on any of the mirrors.

What's the recourse when that happens?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: