View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redmaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: xmodmap and random behavior Reply with quote

Hey,

I use xmodmap to give one of my windows keys a new life. I got an .Xmodmap file in ~ and nothing spectacular in it ("keycode 134=F13"). In my .xinitrc I got a little statement that, if the file is there, will execute .Xmodmap on it. I use a little program called "tilda" that will pop up a terminal when pressing that infamous windows key.

So far so good. 99% of the time I boot this setup works just fine. But sometimes after Xfce has come up Tilda will do odd stuff (like complain about there not being an F13 key or just changing its appearance back to default) untill I manually xmodmap. Then everything is well again.

Odd thing is: I start my xfce session via SLIM and .xinitrc. The exec statement is AFTER the xmodmap. So tilda should be started only after the key has been renamed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
redmaniac
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea on where you should look at but I had similar odd behaviors--some statements being ignored before the exec one--when using a login manager, notably gdm greeter and recently slim--but , this one, is not fully functional yet so I cannot say for sure. To be sure if it's not slim that slip there, try to start your X session, if you can and have put enough manpower/effort to get a valid one (see ssuminen sticky post), with startx and see if you get what you want. And then maybe you'lll get a hint.
I know that using startx all my statements in ~/.xinitrc are executed as expected but they're/weren't not with gdm greeter/slim.
redmaniac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I should do that... it's just a bit of a hassle since the problem occurs just once every blue moon. I'd have to give up on slim for a LONG time to be reasonably sure that the problem really does not occur when starting X manually.

In that sense the cure is worse than the disease. But I'll give it a shot I guess.

On another note... is there any other way to specify a default Xmodmap than the one I use? I admit that I didn't research this as well as I could have but on a first search I found nothing useful.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redmaniac wrote:
On another note... is there any other way to specify a default Xmodmap than the one I use? I admit that I didn't research this as well as I could have but on a first search I found nothing useful.

Aside from defining/putting your defaults keymaps in ~/.Xmodmap, I'm afraid there'isnt any but putting something like `xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap' in ~/.xinitrc which you're already doing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: