Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Kmail2, akonadi and MySQL vs Sqlite (and KDE 4.7.2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Kmail2, akonadi and MySQL vs Sqlite (and KDE 4.7.2) Reply with quote

Seeing that KDE 4.7.2 is coming, and given I use Kmail, I look forward with trepidation to the arrival of Kmail2. Especially as akonadi barfs every hour or so on my machine. I assume that either I don't currently need akonadi, or that it restarts itself and all is actually well. Whatever...

AFAIR when I first installed KDE4 the default was to use sqlite for the akonadi server database. But the KDE guys then came out and said that it was untested, and MySQL was the way to go. I wasn't too happy, as MySQL looked rather too heavy for my interest, and sqlite sounded, well, lighter. But it installed OK and after only a month of tweaking and grumbling it settled down. And then I read that the Gentoo recommendation is now to use sqlite. It's concerning that Kmail2 will switch stuff to akonadi, what with the frequent barfs.

Would it be wise to convert my current akonadi server database to sqlite? If so, how? I suspect it's as simple as
Code:
emerge --newUse
with
Code:
app-office/akonadi-server +sqlite -mysql
in package.use, and then let akonadi rebuild itself. I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm, or more import deny?
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll skip 4.7.x due to amount of people grumbling about KMail2 being a beta-quality software. KDE 4.6.5 with kde pim 4.4.11.1 works fine for me.
FWIW:
Code:
=================================================================
                        Package Settings
=================================================================

app-office/akonadi-server-1.5.2 was built with the following:
USE="(consolekit) mysql (policykit) sqlite test -postgres"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe -g -ggdb"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe -g -ggdb"

franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Kmail2, akonadi and MySQL vs Sqlite (and KDE 4.7.2) Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
And then I read that the Gentoo recommendation is now to use sqlite.

Where did you read this was _now_? I found a note on a mailing list, which dates back to sept. 22 2010 - not really "now".

Concerning kmail2 going stable: OMG... Rewriting everything, new design decisions that finally would kill the most hated kde-bug - but breaking everything... Slow as hell with semi-big imap-inbox (9481 mails), breaking too much after connection loss (cache rollback, won't work immediately, ...). But what really drives me crazy ATM is that it can't handle several instructions at a time: downloading a mail with several MB (ya know, slow internet connection, that takes a LONG time), and in the meantime going to read already downloaded mails from the same imap-agent - does not work, kmail takes AGES until it would display an already cached mail :(

ATM going through alternatives, claws-mail looks nice. Does somebody know, how to get the list sorted in the way as kmails "Current Activity/Flat" does?
sam_i_am
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Kmail2, akonadi and MySQL vs Sqlite (and KDE 4.7.2) Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
ATM going through alternatives, claws-mail looks nice. Does somebody know, how to get the list sorted in the way as kmails "Current Activity/Flat" does?

Went through the same problems with KMail 2. Didn't like claws-mail. Now I'm using Thunderbird, which looks rather nice (6.x).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: