Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Clarification: Gentoo Linux Desktop Config Guide (USB mouse)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amphibious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Clarification: Gentoo Linux Desktop Config Guide (USB mouse) Reply with quote

The second paragraph of the "Configuring a USB Mouse" section of the Gentoo Linux Desktop Configuration Guide reads as follows:

The first thing that has to be done is the installation of the kernel modules. The modules that will be needed for a USB mouse to work are usbmouse, mousedev, hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, and input. After the necessary kernel configuration is done, insmod the modules.

First off, how do I install the kernel modules? I've gone though the installation guide, but that doesn't really specifically tell you the syntax for installing kernel modules. When I LSMOD hid is already loaded, meaning that usbmouse doesn't need to be, usbcore is also already present. I do, however, need to install mousedev, usb-uhci, and input. I've done a modprobe on all three and it either returns nothing or an error message.

So, I really need to know exactly what the syntax of "installation of the kernel modules" would be.

Thanks.
dpi209
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if you speak of getting error messages, it would be nice if you could include them, and also state how you installed gentoo (live-cd, which stage et al).

If the required modules are not there by default, you'll have to compile your own kernel, i assume, having the required options configured to be built as a module.

Have a look in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/drivers/usb/ first. If the required modules are not present, grab the kernel-sources (vanilla-sources/gentoo-sources/xfs-sources, dependent what you use or need) and follow the steps for compiling and installing a new kernel.
amphibious
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two errors.

First, when I modprobe mousedev and input I get a module not found error.

When I modprobe usb-uhci I get a fairly lengthy error:

/lib/modules/2.4.22_pre2-gss/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-uhci.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22_pre2-gss/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-uhci.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22_pre2-gss/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-uhci.o failed
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.22_pre2-gss/kernel/drivers/usb/host/usb-uhci.o: insmod usb-uhci failed

Bleh... :-/
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
firebird84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have similar problems with my usbmouse config. I don't dare get xfree running yet till I get this resolved. I had input and mousedev, and switched out mousedev for usb-uhci and none of them work. On bootup they give "module not found" or something similar. I can't remember well cuz it scrolls by too fast.

I'm using the gaming kernel, I did a livecd stage1 install, and the kernel is compiled per the instructions perfectly.
firebird84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, only thing that doesn't work is input. The module exists, it just won't freaking load. I got uhci (not usb-uhci), hid, and mousedev working (if I remember correctly).

By the way, when I do modprobe it (I'm not really sure what modprobe does but whatever) it gives me an error saying something about improper parameters and stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: