Gentoo from OpenVZ-2008.11 template
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastian82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Gentoo from OpenVZ-2008.11 template Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Im willing to have Gentoo server on OpenVZ. I took gentoo-2008.11 template from my HyperVM panel. And all sort of troubles begins.. As you see this is quite old template and i wish to bring the system to normal usability level, but im lack of expierience with OpenVZ and Gentoo together. First of all i need to download portage tree and unpack it to /usr but it has to be old portage tree right? If i use newest one i will have problems with installing anything, and i cant install even python to move forward with maintaince.

I would like to ask you guys, can you point me on what steps should i do to bring this system to normal and updated? Or maybe you have a some tutorial for noob on it?

What i tried so far is:

1. i made a list od content find / -mount /home/listprevous.txt
2. I downloaded newest stage3 and i unpacked it to /tmp
3 cp -r /tmp/usr / && cp -r /tmp/lib / but copying lib failed (segmentation fault)

I stoped here becouse it obviously wont work, anyway next steps i was planning:

4. find / -mount /home/listafter.txt
5. Compare listprevious.txt and listafert.txt to find differences and delete them
6. Download newest portage tree and unpack it
7. Have a working system

But as i said i cant overwrite /lib on a working system and as it is OpenVZ i cant chroot it. So i would be thanksful for any tips how to deal with this problem.

Thanks,
Bastian
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More up to date templates can be found at http://azabani.com/gentoovz/ the latest one from August this year. There's also a link to the script that is used to generate them.

Please note that I have not tested these templates myself.

EDIT: The webpage I linked to appears to have disappeared...

Last edited by gkmac on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bastian82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac: thanks mate, i was somewhere around it today, but i thought this script is not done yet. First of all i will try preapred template, if it wont work then i will try to do some magic using this script.

I will inform you about results.
jormartr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the information on the OpenVZ site wiki, about Gentoo template creation, build it on a chroot, for example, tar it and it's done.
Bastian82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, template from http://azabani.com/gentoovz/ doesnt work, i can't start the server. Admin will provide me some logs soon. I can try do my own using this script but first i will wait till the Admin will have a look in logs.

jormartr: Delan Azabani wrote on his site that this tutorial is outdated it doesnt support baselayout-2

Quote:
Unlike the instructions on the OpenVZ wiki, which are outdated, and use hacks that were needed for baselayout-1 that span multiple configuration files and will break when updating to baselayout-2, this script creates templates that take advantage of baselayout-2 by updating to baselayout-2 first, then applying one simple configuration change in /etc/rc.conf.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: