Arduino: sketches uploaded from Gentoo crash, from OSX ok
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
velociphile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Arduino: sketches uploaded from Gentoo crash, from OSX ok Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Gentoo-based desktop and Macbook. If I upload sketches to either of my two Freetronics Elevens (Arduino Uno clone) from the Macbook, all's well. If I upload the exact same sketch from the Gentoo desktop, the Eleven locks up (static D13, no comms with the Arduino IDE over USB.) However, the sketch uploaded from the Gentoo desktop works if I comment out almost everything, so the Linux box is compiling and uploading semi-successfully.

The compiled sketch complete (from the OSX machine) is about 10k, the biggest I've so far got to run from the Linux box is about 5k compiled, stripping out most of the functionality from the code. Obviously both are well away from the 32k limit. I've added/called freeMemory() from memoryFree.cpp posted at http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/AvailableMemory, and that reports ~1500 bytes free in the most complete sketch I could get to run when uploaded from the Linux box, so I don't think it's my sketch gobbling RAM.

It looks, to me, as if something in my Gentoo cross-avr toolchain that's using far more flash or RAM memory than it should (or either freeMemory() or the IDE reports), but I don't know really where to start looking. The gentoo toolchain was put together based on the guide at http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Gentoo, whilst I'm using the 0022 IDE bin from arduino.cc.

Since I can upload from the Macbook all is not lost, but it's a pain - it's my wife's computer really.

Has anyone come across this before?
Thanks,
Tom

PS: also posted on the Freetronics forum: http://forum.freetronics.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101
turtles
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since nobody has chimed in yet I cant resist. This looks really interesting.
Can I come over and check it out?

I looked at:
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Gentoo
There is a note there:
Quote:
64-bit users

librxtx is reported to cause some problems on gentoo linux because of an overflow, causing the IDE to fail. This problem is noted at rxtx here. Please go here for fixed binaries.

Are you a 64bit user?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an arduino and arduino compatible boards, but have not yet had time to set things up and play.

Looking at the link to fixed binaries, the fixed binaries are dated from a cvs snapshot:
Quote:
Based on CVS snapshot of RXTX taken on 2008-12-07.

The current dev-java/rxtx-2.2_pre2 ebuild in the tree includes those fixes and a few more it looks like. The last change in the source for it is dated Feb. 04, 2009.

So if that is the problem, then accept the ~amd64 keyword and emerge it.
velociphile
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both responders - thanks very much, sorry the delay in my reply. Not a lot of time for this sort of thing with a 2-year old wanting Youtube'd fire-engines every time I pick up a keyboard.

@dol-sen; I am now using rxtx-2.2_pre2, and have the same results. I don't now think it's the upload stage, I think it's before that, in the compilation/linking:

I've done a little digging, and (sorry, posted on both) result details are on the Freetronics forum (http://forum.freetronics.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101&p=610#p610), so will precis here: the two systems seem to be producing very different (differently-sized) binaries, and the .hex file from the Gentoo box is 35,011 bytes - I assume it will be a problem flashing this into 32,256 bytes of space...

I'm now starting to go through the detailed compile output (produced by adding build.verbose=true to ~/.arduino/preferences.txt), comparing between the two platforms (and look again at my crossdev toolchain installation.)

Vista will solve all your problems. People keep telling me so it must be true.
carlocaponi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, the definitive guide to arduino on gentoo:

http://www.carlocaponi.it/cgi-bin/blog/arduino
LubosD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you solved this? This is definitely a problem with the toolchain, because when I unpacked avr-gcc from Debian into my Gentoo, it started working flawlessly... Otherwise I had the exactly same problem as you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: