No display with Nvidia & X
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: No display with Nvidia & X Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Gforce FX 5200. It is not entirely a top end card, but it is good enough for most purposes. However after following the Xconfiguration guide for Gentoo Linux in the provided docs to the letter, when I type 'startx' all I get is a blank screen. It looks like x has started, as there are no error messages and i am not dropped back to a prompt - but again as i said, all I get is a blank screen.

One part of the instructions I didn't understand was the part saying that I had to 'recompile the nvidia kernel'. What does this mean and how do I do it? I have no problems with compiling a standard kernel, and I emerged/installed the nvidia kernel and the nvidia driver.

Additionally, what options must I enable in the standard kernel (I'm using gentoo-sources) to ensure I obtain full accelearted 3D functionality?

All input is welcome.

Q

PS, is it just me or have these forums become pretty unusable recentlhave had to wait for 5 hours before I could post this message. Maybe the developers are working on the servers?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: