New to Gentoo again :-}
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: New to Gentoo again :-} Reply with quote

Hello,
I remember the past. The last time I stop to use Gentoo was because a loop of revdep-rebuild, trying to emerge again some of the previous packages after a first success. A bit of annoyance to find why compilation failed to. I test a lot of Linux distributions recently. Satisfied of ArchLinux and Debian, I search an other one. I passtrough OpenSuse, Foresight Linux, Lubuntu, Fedore 16. For a reason or an other, hard to control, lack of packages, unstable, I finally install Gentoo from Archlinux.

I tried to keep it easy has possible. I had to restudy the Gentoo basics commands. No bigs problems until I had to configure my kernel. I stopped to do it since 3.6.31 version. Genkernel create one for me, but I had a blank screen for several minutes until the Radeon driver said it cannot find the radeon/R600_rlc.bin firmware. I thank it was available form the initrd, but in practice it was not or was not find. So I decided to put it directly in the kernel. Only put the R600_rlc.bin firmware in the firmware/radeon/ directory with relative path firmware of the kernel tree worked for me. Than I could boot normaly with my own kernel without an initrd and the help of Genkernel.

I tried to create an initrd for Fbcondecor, but I get a kernel panic. The option is activated in the kernel and work for the moment, but only in the late boot process with the fbcondecor script. On the road to optimise my kernel I had a bad surprise this morning. The boot process was living me to a console login. No scripts in the default runlevel 3 was started. Even more, no boot scripts look to be started to. After found it was a kernel configuration problem, I finally have been able to boot normally again, but without knowing which changes I made correct the situation.

So things are looking good for the moment. No emerge world failure and revdep-rebuild tell me my system is consistent. I use WindowMaker and Lxde. I am not in hurry to install Kde. Gnome 3 do not motivate me for the moment. I had to install version 1.0.23-r1 of alsa-utils because version 1.0.24.2-r1 failed in the install process. In reverse I had to install ~amd64 version of Roxterm because the amd64 version, my default KEYWORD, did not compile. All I can say, is I just hope to stay.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. :)
Gentoo is not for everyone, as not everyone wants to fiddle with their OS instead of just running it, as not everyone is interested in their own hand crafted Linux, but for those who think computing is fun when you get into internals Gentoo is a blessing. :D
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back. :)

Portage has evolved quite a bit over time. I recomment thoroughly reading the portage and emerge man pages. The init system has also evolved.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for your answers. That help. I just come to change my default profile for a desktop one, not Gnome or Kde. Then an emerge -aDNuv world was needed to apply the USE changes. It is close to finish. Emerge the glibc is long. With others, I have to study all the modules meaning and possibilities of eselect.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien,

Welcome back!

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoo thank's too,
after read one of your reply about profiles, I realise i was not using the best one for what I do. A lot of things to recompile. Generally, it take a while to have the system you want. After that, things become more easy, always keeping an eye the way your system behave and news things update can changes. I remember how important was to update modules-init-tools when the 2.6 branch arrived and I stop to compile the 2.4 sources. It take me a time to catch it after several compilation failed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: