Why are packages still using GNOME1.4 ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otvald
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Why are packages still using GNOME1.4 ? Reply with quote

I have just installed Gentoo, and run Gnome2. However it seems that per default quite some ebuild scripts build for Gnome-1.0 and glib-1.2!!!

This is because configure scripts tend to use gnome-config --cflags which return Gnome-1.0 settings. Is this only on my system or do the ebuild files need an overhaul?

Why have emerge ended up installing both Gnome 1.0 and 2.0??? Is it necessary?

------ [long,more detailed, more boring, version follows] -----

After installing most of my basic system, I went along with the more serious stuff and eventually came to anjuta.

At first I got the little innocent looking message "gnome-vfs-config not found" .. No problem I thought, I just reemerge the gnome-vfs. Did so, but no change.

This led me to more detective work, and I discovered that the "configure" script assumes Gnome1.4, and the gnome-vfs changed a bit for Gnome2 ... I then made some changes in the configure script but only to find me facing Pandoras box :cry: . It seems that things are more complicated because stuff like "bonobo" is used, and the configuration for this stuff is found using "gnome-config --cflags gnorba zvt bonobo". Wow, now I really face the problems, because it turns out the e.g. bonobo uses Gnome1.4.

I therefore end up wanting to include Gnome1.4 and GNOME2 headerfiles which definitely confuses the compiler!

In my case I must ensure that "gnorba zvt bonobo and vfs" MUST be of the same version. I therefore installed an older version of gnome-vfs, and then it worked flawlessly! :arrow:
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother reading through the long and boring version so forgive me if this doesn't fully apply. but its not a matter of the ebuilds or gentoo making use of gnome 1.4 libs. Its the programs that you're trying to install.. they haven't been rewritten to make use of gnome 2 libs yet. so the 12.4 are still requirements of those programs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: