Scarabus(Libreoffice dev) looking for donations to continue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Scarabus(Libreoffice dev) looking for donations to continue Reply with quote

Scarabus has blogged that he needs a new hard drive to continue maintaining Libreoffice in Gentoo and is looking for donations towards one

http://blogs.gentoo.org/scarabeus/2012/02/08/life-gentoo-and-all-the-funny-things

just thought I'd put it on the forums as I appreciate his contributions
Acidphase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Things that make you go hmm Reply with quote

Just curious , why does it have to be a SSD? I mean couldn't you use any other form of media to continue development?

Please don't take this as a argument or confrontational as it is not my intentions at all. I was more thinking along the lines for amount of money that is being spent on small SSD you
can get 10x the storage capacity through common media devices. Even a WD Raptor would be cheaper and get you allot more storage for the same price.
jdhore
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Things that make you go hmm Reply with quote

Acidphase wrote:
Just curious , why does it have to be a SSD? I mean couldn't you use any other form of media to continue development?

Please don't take this as a argument or confrontational as it is not my intentions at all. I was more thinking along the lines for amount of money that is being spent on small SSD you
can get 10x the storage capacity through common media devices. Even a WD Raptor would be cheaper and get you allot more storage for the same price.

I'm guessing since it takes HOURS to build libreoffice even on a modern box, using a SSD makes things a fair bit faster without needing like 16GB RAM for a big enough tmpfs for a /var/tmp/portage for building libreoffice....
Acidphase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Things that make you go hmm Reply with quote

jdhore wrote:
Acidphase wrote:

I'm guessing since it takes HOURS to build libreoffice even on a modern box, using a SSD makes things a fair bit faster without needing like 16GB RAM for a big enough tmpfs for a /var/tmp/portage for building libreoffice....

Hours on a modern platform? switching from a physical Hard Disk platter to a SSD would only decrease the build times by minutes not hours.

Code:
Sun Nov 13 14:45:47 2011 >>> app-office/libreoffice-9999-r2 <== Built with Hard Disk 10K RPM (Raptor)
       merge time: 52 minutes and 37 seconds.

Sun Nov 20 15:38:59 2011 >>> app-office/libreoffice-9999-r2 <=== Built With Hard Disk
       merge time: 52 minutes and 14 seconds.

Fri Dec 16 03:19:50 2011 >>> app-office/libreoffice-9999-r2 <=== Built with Hard Disk
       merge time: 1 hour and 53 seconds.

Thu Jan 26 04:30:08 2012 >>> app-office/libreoffice-3.5.0.1 <=== Built in RAM DDR3 @1866Mhz
       merge time: 58 minutes.

Wed Feb  1 02:16:55 2012 >>> app-office/libreoffice-3.5.0.1 <=== Built in RAM
       merge time: 55 minutes and 25 seconds.

The CPU doing the compiling and the amount of files being built is what's going to affect the build times the most, the fact that he's most likely using and older CPU (which I can't see that it's that old if it's a HTPC Zacate) as you pointed out.

Just saying..

He would better off having someone Donate some stuff their not using anymore. (Even a AM2/AM3 setup would speed things up tremendously).
Like I said not trying to argue, I feel for the guy I was looking at it from a practical sense and TCO point of view.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acidphase wrote:
He would better off having someone Donate some stuff their not using anymore. (Even a AM2/AM3 setup would speed things up tremendously).
Like I said not trying to argue, I feel for the guy I was looking at it from a practical sense and TCO point of view.

You make a very good point, perhaps you should post a comment on his blog and he may be able to expand on his choice? For my part, I am making a small donation and hoping that others can pool enough to enable him to progress, whether that be equipment or monetary.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, why are you picking on his choice of hardware when he probably spends countless hours of his time to develop software you can use for free?

Donate if you want to, don't donate if you don't want to, but don't tell him what to put in his PC... a 128GB SSD hardly seems an unreasonable choice to me.
Acidphase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
Just curious, why are you picking on his choice of hardware when he probably spends countless hours of his time to develop software you can use for free?

Donate if you want to, don't donate if you don't want to, but don't tell him what to put in his PC... a 128GB SSD hardly seems an unreasonable choice to me.

First off I knew someone was going to say this. I tried to negate this comment by pointing out "I feel" for this guy" and I'm not trying to argue.

Secondly he didn't ask for a 128GB he asked for a 30GB SSD and as I pointed out for he needs and in the pursuit of building Libre faster a SSD isn't going to help he needs more
processing power as it would be money better spent if he would get a traditional Hard Drive with whole bunch more space coupled with a new CPU opposed to an APU/Atom/ION
which really isn't ideal to building packages. That's where his biggest bottle neck is.

Third I'm not telling him what to put in his computer, he can put a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in his box if it makes him happy. lol The whole point here of this thread and his blog
is to allow him to build Libre Office faster as you pointed out maybe we can shed a few hours off the countless hours he spent Developing for us. I'm sorry but a SSD isn't going to
do it . Any phenom II x4 would though which are cheap and so is a AM3 entry board, he can pretty much get all 3 for the price of 1 SSD.

----

baann wrote:
You make a very good point, perhaps you should post a comment on his blog and he may be able to expand on his choice? For my part, I am making a small donation and hoping that others can pool enough to enable him to progress, whether that be equipment or monetary.

Good point , I feel bad cause up until a couple months ago I had a DFI Ultra Lan Party with a Dual Core Operton I could have gave him. Unfortunately my 4 year old son cooked it when he decided to play PC repair tech one day lol.
scarabeus
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have core i7 2600k with 16 gb ram windows installed as I explained at begining of the blog (reasons be that gentoo crash too much for other mere beings in my family). I just don't have disk space (also wrote there). With current disk prices I don't feel really willing to pay the overpriced amount "because of the floods". So I thought hey I need just system hdd which is 60 GB+, no TBs for warez, so lets see how much and if people will donate. So I linked 2 SSD disks at the blogpost both of them 120 GB which I would like.

I know that disk is the least bottleneck when building libreoffice. Only thing one needs is hot ccache and you can get builds in matter of 10 minutes. In previous blogs I showed cold-cached builds in 27 minutes on normal disks.

Currently the whole discussion is purely academic as I have 1/4 of money from 3 donors (I will list them when I finish followup blog after buying) so I can go for cheapest smallest normal HDD or just add the money myself, which is probably what I will do during next week. :)
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An SSD improves the general usability/responsiveness of a system, getting one always pays off no matter what you do, how fast your PC or your other HDDs are.

I'm very happy with a Crucial m4 SSD and I'll certainly put one of these things into every new PC in the future.

HDDs are fine for huge amounts of storage; for the system they just can't compete with SSD.

As for ccache, I don't trust it anymore - it caused a bad compile for me at some point and hunting for such obscure bugs eats more time and nerves than using ccache saves. But that's just my personal experience. If I had to compile monsters such as *office regularly I'd probably use ccache anyway. But I must admit that office is one package where I prefer to just use the -bin ebuild... :oops:
Acidphase
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarabeus wrote:
I have core i7 2600k with 16 gb ram windows installed as I explained at begining of the blog (reasons be that gentoo crash too much for other mere beings in my family). I just don't have disk space (also wrote there). With current disk prices I don't feel really willing to pay the overpriced amount "because of the floods". So I thought hey I need just system hdd which is 60 GB+, no TBs for warez, so lets see how much and if people will donate. So I linked 2 SSD disks at the blogpost both of them 120 GB which I would like.

I know that disk is the least bottleneck when building libreoffice. Only thing one needs is hot ccache and you can get builds in matter of 10 minutes. In previous blogs I showed cold-cached builds in 27 minutes on normal disks.

Currently the whole discussion is purely academic as I have 1/4 of money from 3 donors (I will list them when I finish followup blog after buying) so I can go for cheapest smallest normal HDD or just add the money myself, which is probably what I will do during next week. :)

LOL I didn't see the post about the rig on the blog "I have core i7 2600k with 16 gb ram windows installed" , as I didn't bother to look back at previous blog posts, all I saw was:

The Blog wrote:
This disk sadly died, so my remaining Gentoo install is HTPC which has no power to actually build libreoffice in any timely manner (what can one expect from Zacate platform).

Hence my statement , should have kept quiet might have got a another dedicated BOX just for Gentoo out of post lol. In light of the new info then by all mean get whatever floats you're boat I was under the impression the only system you had was a ZACATE setup. =P
Which is why I posted the build times hard disk vs SSD and was like wtf? l have 128GB Corsair Force GT, it's a beast at the moment it's being used for Windows as it can use all the help it can get lol.
My Gentoo /root is on my 300GB VelociRaptor which cooks as well not quite like an SSD but for Gentoo it's plenty of fast. As for storage which I thought was you're original main problem I have two 1TB drives on for /home and the other I use for windows.
Anyway good luck as it seems you are almost there anyway thank you for you hard work most users appreciate it. I just feel bad that I can't help at this time mainly due to the fact I'm out on disability or I would have definitely donated something :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: