View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moneycat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: How to add "open with" support for Firefox in gnom Reply with quote

Hello, I've a question about gnome 3 and Firefox. Here I'll use "pdf" as sample.

As this screenshot, I've installed Evince and Firefox with gnome-shell.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/screenshotat20120215220.png/

But the "open with" behavior is not the same as before. Now there is no default applications can be chosen for Firefox, although I still can open files in Nautilus. As the screenshot shown, there is also no Content Type for PDF files can be modified.

I've copy another work mimeTypes.rdf from .mozilla/firefox/{profile} of an Ubuntu box with gnome 3. But it still no work for me. It just to add much more content types but still no work while open the link dialog.

Are there any solution? Or just lost some packages? Thanks a lot.

Antony.
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you chose the Open With "browse" option and selected your PDF viewer did you also tick the "do this automatically..." box?
moneycat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
When you chose the Open With "browse" option and selected your PDF viewer did you also tick the "do this automatically..." box?

Ya, I know I can do this. But it is strange that there should have default values as I used in gnome 2.3x. I don't want to made Firefox open the file directly all the time. And if I do not check the box, the configuration will be lost and I have to find the binary again and again.
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you selected the option, were you able to view the Content Type in the applications tab? I'm a KDE user, so in Firefox I had to open a PDF file in Okular before it became the default application for PDFs. Now I use kpartsplugin to open PDF files in the browser.

I'm not sure if your earlier version of Gnome had a plugin like kpartsplugin which it installed by default and now does not, but your Firefox behavior seems normal if you were able to open PDFs by default with Evince after ticking the aforementioned box.
moneycat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
If you selected the option, were you able to view the Content Type in the applications tab? I'm a KDE user, so in Firefox I had to open a PDF file in Okular before it became the default application for PDFs. Now I use kpartsplugin to open PDF files in the browser.

I'm not sure if your earlier version of Gnome had a plugin like kpartsplugin which it installed by default and now does not, but your Firefox behavior seems normal if you were able to open PDFs by default with Evince after ticking the aforementioned box.

I can open files, for example, the pdf file via manual select the evince. But the setting will lost if I did not check the box. There will exist the content type association for pdf and action is "always ask".

As you say, maybe I just forgot to install some packages that not default in installation list of gnome 3. So I wonder to see if there anyone in a new installation gnome 3 con solve this problem. Maybe I should fill out a bug to bugzilla...
monkeygirl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There will exist the content type association for pdf and action is "always ask".

I don't know if this will help, but there should be a drop down in your applications tab where it says "always ask". Do you see the option Evince there? If so, please select it and then try downloading a PDF again and let me know the result.

Here is a screenshot of my applications tab: http://x8k.org/ss/forums01.png
moneycat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank. But after some research, this issue is from upstream of mozilla that seems cannot be solved now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: