View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: unmounted disks visible and accessible? Reply with quote

I re-installed gentoo some time ago and went to XFCE. What I really didn't understand then is that in all file save/open dialogs all hard disks are listed. Also those not mounted through fstab or manually. Not only are they listed, but I can open them and read/write. This looked like a serious security problem to me but on the XFCE forum this was considered normal. At that time I tought it was a gnome issue as I was used to kde where this never happened.

I went back to kde (xfce too bare for me) and just now discovered that even here this is still that way, but it depends on application.

- kwrite displays all hard discs, even /boot that is not mounted
- audacity, claws, gimp: same

Is this normal? If so, how can I avoid this? I don't want any hard disc that is not mounted to show up in any open/save dialog. To me this looks like a disaster waiting to happen. If a disc isn't mounted the OS shouldn't mention it's exsistence and certainly not allow access to it.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: unmounted disks visible and accessible? Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Is this normal? If so, how can I avoid this? I don't want any hard disc that is not mounted to show up in any open/save dialog. To me this looks like a disaster waiting to happen. If a disc isn't mounted the OS shouldn't mention it's exsistence and certainly not allow access to it.

:roll: You're basically saying here "hotplug shouldn't be implemented in any way".

Most likely you need to mark those partitions with UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the disk's in fstab and your user has permissions to mount it, then there is no security issue - you've configured your system that way. Hiding it from the file manager at that point is an inconvenience and "security through obscurity".

Now if it *wasn't* in fstab or didn't have -o users, then you might have a point.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now if it *wasn't* in fstab or didn't have -o users, then you might have a point.

Some of the disks in question aren't in fstab at all, some are in fstab but not -o users (like /boot).

Quote:
You're basically saying here "hotplug shouldn't be implemented in any way".

Well, not in that way. Like I disabled in KDE settings "Enable aumatic mounting of removable storage media" and still if I put in a SDcard it just mounts it. It also lists all the internal hd's of the pc as removable media (and I disabled mounting there as well). So it looks like automount just does whatever it pleases.

Quote:
Most likely you need to mark those partitions with UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE.

Any how-to about this?
ultraincognito
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you as I do so.
I have the Xfce too. I don't use udisks generally.
For usb flash drives I wrote udev rule that give sound when new device inserted or removed. And does automounting of course.
My Xfce doesn't deal with devices generally. I have automount without X.org server even. And in my opinion it should be so.
For partitions of hard disk I use the fstab.
And I am happy.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't want automount for usb sticks because I don't like popping up windows that steal the focus of the application I'm working in. Neither do I want hard discs available that are not mounted and not even in fstab. On of them is an older gentoo install that I keep as a backup, another is a windows install and I'd like both unaccessible from each other. Likewise I don't want any application able to write in /boot. So it is marked noauto in fstab. But automount doesn't seem to care and I can just write into it from kate or kwrite or gimp.
ultraincognito
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanik wrote:
Well, I don't want automount for usb sticks because I don't like popping up windows that steal the focus of the application I'm working in.

I'm too. But automounting might be without any windows but with the sound signal. I have so.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump. So you guys really think this is normal?
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See data/80-udisks.rules in udisks 1.0.4 tarball.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: