View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ecnetserv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: How do i get a GUI?!?!?! Reply with quote

So we have a new client who uses esx and virtual Gentoo servers and it seems to be all command line

Basically what i am trying to find an answer to is how can i get a GUI working on these servers so that we can manage them, We have very limited Linux knowledge.
We are not even sure of the roles the some of the servers perform (ie: DNS, Fileserver etc etc) I can navigate through directories and perform other basic tasks but need to do the following:

1. Find out what Roles these servers perform ( i know one is running samba so im guessing thats the fileserver)
2. get atleast a basic GUI installed so that we can manage it efficiently
3. and any other tips you might have for me

I have done quite a bit of reading but it has become overwhelming with the amount of different distrobutions available and the fact that this is all, well, pretty new.

I thank you in advance for any help or info you can throw my way

Jerry-
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're screwed. Your client should have contracted with somebody who knows something about Linux.

As to your questions:

1. Identifying the roles of machines. You can get a listing of the "services" running on the machine with the following command.
Code:
rc-status

2. GUI: why would you want a GUI on a server? Learn to use the shell. If you feel you must have a GUI, then first ask the client or the hosting provider if the machines are equipped to provide a web interface, and if so, how to access it. If not, you could install one (for example, webmin).

3. Other suggestions: What you ought to do is either hire or subcontract somebody who knows Linux (preferably Gentoo, you could probably find somebody in these forums), or install Gentoo on a machine at the office and learn how to use it as rapidly as possible.
WvR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous poster. Even if you install a GUI (have you ever heard of the X Window System?), then does not mean that you get the necessary GUI tools for system administration. On linux, most GUIs are just wrappers around command line programs that do the real work behind the scenes. It is better to learn to use the command line tools directly.

As for system administration: either you have to learn basic linux skills, or indeed hire somebody who knows a bit about linux and gentoo. Beware of admins who are specialized in Ubuntu or Red Hat - gentoo requires a more hard-core type of administrator.

First steps: use SSH or similar to connect the gentoo servers, use vi, emacs, or nano to read and edit files. All linux commands have a manual page, opened by the "man" program: "man cp" tells you all about how to copy files, "man mv" how to move files, "man grep" how to use the grep program. Use "locate" to find files on the system, learn to use "grep" to extract interesting information from files.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys are Windows-oriented, just put a Windows box on the subnet, and use Putty to ssh into the servers.

That'll give you a gui you're used to, and let you access the servers.
drwook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A GUI isn't your issue. You don't need one, and if you get one I doubt it'll be/do what you want. just use ssh or even the console via the vSphere client if you must.

if you want to know the functions of the servers, your choices are 1/ docs (client supplied some right, or you asked before signing a contract?), 2/ take a look at netstat/rc-status/etc on the servers, or 3/ port scan them and see what's listening.

Either way, you need to get a subcontractor by the sounds of it, or even just a single contract linux sysadmin for a few months while your permanent people get to grips with Linux.

Not in London are you? ;)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:
If you guys are Windows-oriented, just put a Windows box on the subnet, and use Putty to ssh into the servers.

That'll give you a gui you're used to, and let you access the servers.

Something tells me that by "GUI" he didn't mean "terminal emulator on a Windows box".
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
You're screwed. Your client should have contracted with somebody who knows something about Linux.

drwook wrote:
A GUI isn't your issue. You don't need one, and if you get one I doubt it'll be/do what you want. just use ssh or even the console via the vSphere client if you must.

They both happen to be correct, because

2. CLI is the most efficient and flexible way to manage those servers

Subcontractor idea seems to be the only way out of this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: