View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
section12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Problem emerging xorg-server Reply with quote

SOLVED:
As I said... I'd been away from Gentoo for awhile and simply forgot a lot of stuff. I suddenly remembered that I can add the USE="" stuff before the emerge options to get it to move on. So, finally posting something from within Gentoo and it's good to be back!

Edit2:
Also wanted to apologize for saying emerge isn't that great. In fact, it is fine. Very powerful if you just sit back and learn it and remember what you've learned. :)

So I followed this guide to setup xorg, but man... it wants to emerge 99 NEW packages and it tells me I need to change somewhere around 20 different USE flags for them.

Admittedly, I am lost. It's been a few years since I ran a Gentoo installation last and the only thing I can really tell you is that emerge is STILL not as smart as it should be. Neither am I, but wow... this package system REALLY needs too much help to get it to do simple things like this.

I am not sure where to begin to ask for help with this. I am posting this thread from Windows so I really have no logs to show you the EXACT packages it wants emerged in which way. I am basically just hoping there is an easy way around this.

System:
  • Gentoo x86_64 with kernel 3.2.1-r2
  • Radeon 6870

A bunch of googling only gives me sparse information. Here is some of what I've written down.

It wants to me change these USE flags for 99 packages:
  • -doc
  • -minimal
  • -static-libs
  • ipv6
  • X
  • bzip2
  • -auto-hinter
  • -bindist
  • -debug
  • -fontforge
  • utils
  • radeon
  • python
  • zlib

It has those next to TONS of packages it says it needs before it can merge xorg-server for me.

Any help with my completely vague and useless information?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: