[Solved] Installing Gentoo in an AMD Bulldozer system
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiskoller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Installing Gentoo in an AMD Bulldozer system Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've decided to install a clean Gentoo to my new rig, wich has an FX-8150 CPU and 16 gigs of RAM.

At the moment I just finished making the kernel. However I've noticed that the emerges are not working because I've set -march=bdver1 but gcc is only at 4.5.2.

I thought I could grab 4.6.2, no matter wether its stable or not, so I wrote
Code:
=sys-devel/gcc-4.6.2

into /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords.

I've tried many and many combinations, without the = sign, only typing sys-devel/gcc, giving these to package.unmask or package.keyword, anything i could imagine, yet portage does not want to pull ver 4.6.2, only 4.5.3-r1.

How the hell can I give him the order to pull that package? As I said I am in the middle of the installation, with the installation USB stick still in the PC.

Please help me, I would really love to try my new CPU wit all his features in my beloved Gentoo system.

Last edited by kiskoller on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of certain specific domains, such as scientific number crunching, it is rarely helpful to enable every last feature of your CPU. If you still want to use sys-devel/gcc:4.6, then provide the output of emerge --pretend --verbose sys-devel/gcc:4.6. This will tell you exactly why Portage is refusing to use a 4.6.x gcc.
kiskoller
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are saying that I wont see any gain by using gcc 4.6? I've read that the Zambezi chips require special care in multi-threading and task scheduling.

I typed in what you said, and portage hasn't found any result... It seems its not in the portage-tree somehow, although I did an emerge--sync just a couple of minutes ago.

But if it really does not give any boost, then its no point trying, better do the install the usual way...

UPDATE: Nevermind, I managed to grab it, thank you for your help!

kiskoller
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: