View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: xfce4 + kwin Reply with quote

I'm moving away from Compiz since it's been removed from the portage tree and it's buggy as heck anyways.

I've tinkered with kwin and love it, but hate KDE. So the goal is to use kwin (kwin --replace) instead of xfwm4 (xfce4's window manager) in my xfce4 environment.

So far things work perfectly, except for one glaring issue that I can't look past: virtual desktops. For some reason when kwin kicks off, only the desktop I'm currently executing the kwin --replace functions. All the other virtual desktops (a) do not have a background, (b) do not respond to the right-moues click on the deskotp area, and (c) are missing completely when rotating my cube.

Note that the kwin seems to recognize all of the desktops when I go into the configuration utility, but for some reason does not seem to play nice. I can't imagine living with one virtual desktop when I normally run 6 - 8 on most systems. 8O

Take a look: http://i.imgur.com/mS4ZH.png

Any thoughts / ideas on how to get this to work would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Aurora on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try turning off all virtual desktop-switching effects in kwin? I don't know, the only answers I can find with google say that 'kwin --replace' should do the trick. Does plasma need to be running for kwin virtual desktops to work properly?

It's too bad about compiz being removed; it was the only opengl compositor that isn't really tied to a desktop (as opposed to KDE and GNOME3)
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epsilon72 wrote:
Maybe try turning off all virtual desktop-switching effects in kwin? I don't know, the only answers I can find with google say that 'kwin --replace' should do the trick. Does plasma need to be running for kwin virtual desktops to work properly?

It's too bad about compiz being removed; it was the only opengl compositor that isn't really tied to a desktop (as opposed to KDE and GNOME3)

Well that worked. Kinda.

Now I actually have a background on most of my virtual desktops, but I can't right-click on any of the desktops to see my xfce4 menu. :( I can, however, have applications running on those virtual desktops -- a definite improvement.

Turning off the eye-candy that I'm trying to replace seems to defeat the purpose anyways, no? :)

Any other thoughts? Is kwin known to not work well with xfce4? What led you to guess that the issue had something to do with effects?
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried doing something like this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz#XFCE, to make KWin start instead of Xfwm4 (instead of starting it and then immediately replacing)
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
Have you tried doing something like this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compiz#XFCE, to make KWin start instead of Xfwm4 (instead of starting it and then immediately replacing)

Good idea. Just gave it a whirl.

No go. :(

Any other ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: