Gentoo Imaging and mass deployments -where to start?[Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Imaging and mass deployments -where to start?[Solved] Reply with quote

Greetings. I have been working on a little project at home. I created a solid state gentoo box to act as a gateway and simple security device. It works fairly well. However, I want to experiment with different configurations and additional packages. I want to be able to reproduce and re-image different installs so I don't have to begin from scratch if I jack up the configs. Also, moving one step beyond, I thought I could possibly use this system to create an installer or live CD when I perfect the install.

I am not necessarily looking for step by steps just yet. Right now I am brainstorming my options to I know what methods to research.

Thanks.
Always thirsting.

Last edited by njcwotx on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that box some sort of production enviroment?!

If not, you could give btrfs a shot. Simply do snapshots from whatever configs you created. Then you can simply start the different snapshots whenever you need them.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now its a home router/security appliance.

Its compeletely solid state. no CD drive. Btrfs could work as a change recovery technology and is certainly worth checking out. However, I also want to be able to image the drive completely. 1. as a backup 2. as a way to mass produce the device (not retail scale, but I can see where we may need to image this device 10 to 100 times).

I also want to build a live cd version if possible.

I recently purchased another solid state computer to make a workstation network admin device. They are fairly small. Check out digital engine DE2700 and there are others. MSI makes a really nice dual nic device, but its more expensive. I drop in an SSD and I have a 1.6Ghz computer with sound and DVI out. Im going to make another device that isnt a firewall, but a security sniffer, network trouble shooting and monitoring build. We have a lot of remote customers and having a solid state box we can use remotely can come in handy. Using MRTG, Ntop, Nagios, etc. We can create a network admin toolbox we can mount to a wall or drop on a rack that generates little heat and noise. I just dont want to rebuild each time I need an new one.

There is also raspberry pi on the way....
Always thirsting.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make a stage 4 tarball. http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Custom_Stage4

Form your first post, I think that is kind of the direction you were heading...

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the stage 4 looks good, I will give this a try for sure. Got my next little box in mail today, now I can play with a few different builds without having to buy multiple ssd's.
Always thirsting.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a stage 4 tarball, tried to expand it on a vm and didn't have immediate luck, but I think I can resolve it.

I did however on attempt 2 try to boot off my de2700, then proceed to install gentoo on a cf card I put in the slot.

basically I formatted /dev/sdb (the cfcard device, I was running from my ssd on /dev/sda) with the partitions set just like my ssd, and mounted it into /mnt/gentoo......and after mounting the boot partition and extracting the stage4 (mine has the boot files), and setting grub, I was able to remove my ssd and boot off the cf card in a perfect state of clone as if I was on the SSD (except the CF is a slower IO). I had to use df to make sure the cf card was what I was really using.

Good tip, im marking solved, but, any further discussions can continue....
Always thirsting.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: