View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
painteru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: KDE 4.8 - Dolphin terrible thumbnails handling Reply with quote

Hi there!
My problem is that Dolphin works very slow and odd with thumbnails since I upgraded my system to KDE-4.8 version .
I don't know how to describe in words its behavior so I made a short video showing how it works.
Here is the youtube clip.
http://youtu.be/r9hihxdREkc
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited by painteru on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afaik dolphin was completely rewritten in 4.8 - to be faster. ;) Seems that didn't work out for thumbs. But 4.8.1 will be released on March 6th, so if you're lucky your bug will be fixed by then.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watch "top" when that happens again. I am sure you will see eather virtuoso-t or nepomuk eating tons of cpu. Watch iotop, there will be big load, too.
If so, it's known and partially fixed in 4.8.1. Partially, because they found out there are several ways to trigger the issue, and they fixed one (or now more).
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=289932
I experienced exactly the same problem (icons loading EXTREMELY slowly) as you described, and the radical way "delete nepomuk config + data" helped.
If this is NOT the issue, we need to find out, if there is a report, yet :)
painteru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you very much for your fast replay.

genstorm , I hope 4.8.1 will correct this.

Franz Ferdinand, well... I disabled nepomuk indexer yet I left activated nepomuk semantic desktop . So when I open Dolphin #top shows on top only Dolphin and kio-thumbnail. Virtuoso and the other nepomuk stuff related is no higher the the 6th place on top

Well, to say the whole truth, the whole 4.8 KDE performs worst then the previous version !!
Power control works by its "free will" and turn off my display even that I set it to stay on always...
Also, there are 2 icons on the task bar (konqueror and dolphin shortcuts) which are there by default and if I deleted them they appear back after a new logon ..
And maybe there are more issues but these are the most annoying and the most of these is the dolphin thumbnails issue.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something unusual in dmesg or ~/.xsession-errors?
You can run tail -f ~/.xsession-errors then start dolphin and watch live what gets dumped to .xsession-errors.
You can check, if dolphin and kio_thumbnail post their messages. Run "kdebugdialog", filter for dolphin and thumbnail, check the checkboxes, then you are sure that errors will make their way to .xsession-errors.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-post:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=99639
painteru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just upgraded kde to KDE-4.8.1
Well, things are the same.
The only way I can ameliorate that behaviour is to uncheck the "preview - directories" dolphin option.
If that is done, thumbnails are rendered much faster ... Yet, it's still annoying because of the way how dolphin renders the thumbnails in steps:
- 1th step, there are rendered thumbnails ordered by name
- 2nd, thumbnails are ordered by type.
This thing is very annoying on large directories filled with different files types .

FranzF, I don't know if it's something unusual on my .xsession-errors files but if there's someone to know how to read it, this is it on pastebin.com
http://pastebin.mozilla.org/1506672

#dmesg shoot out nothing unusual, but if someone would want to check it, here it is:
http://pastebin.com/9mHD36KX

hmm, maybe the next upgrade will correct this issue.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your .xsession-errors is absolutely nothing about dolphin or thumbnail. Either the corresponding checkboxes in kdebugdialog are disabled, or you did not run dolphin while this .xsession-errors was written.
dmesg has nothing special, too (at least I could not find anything). The Samsung-HDD should be fast enough.
How many files are in the subdirectories?
I am currently copying some images (thousands :D) to try to somehow reproduce this behaviour...
painteru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzf wrote:
In your .xsession-errors is absolutely nothing about dolphin or thumbnail. Either the corresponding checkboxes in kdebugdialog are disabled, or you did not run dolphin while this .xsession-errors was written.
dmesg has nothing special, too (at least I could not find anything). The Samsung-HDD should be fast enough.
How many files are in the subdirectories?
I am currently copying some images (thousands :D) to try to somehow reproduce this behaviour...

Thank you for looking on my files.
Well, actually I did check kdebugdialod for dolphin & kio-thumbnail. Also, I did run dolphin opening different folders some having thumbnails already created and some which had created at that moment . ( https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=292733 )

On the KDE forum (that cross link above) someone posted a link to a KDE bug which is also what I experience. Unfortunately there isn't a fix for that.
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 10 folders, each has >1800 images (jpegs, photos from my 5MP Digicam). Same for the folder containing those 10 folders. Copying with previews turned off.
When all was ready i pressed "show previews", and within 1.5 seconds, all folders had thumbs on them. The images got thumbnailed with a rate of ~20-30 thumbs/sec.
I am running an i7 2600K on an ASRock Z68 Board, WD Blue Caviar HDD on SATA3-Port. Quite High end ATM, but you Core2Duo should not make such an extremely bader job.
Somethings borked at your install :/

Did you try iotop, too? Because no CPU-usage does not neccessarily mean no I/O.

Do you have USE=thumbnail enabled for dolphin?
painteru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Franz, you're right! My PC is not an antiquity and I remember the days of KDE 3.5.10 when I had an AMD Duron @ 1.2 Ghz / 1Gb DDR 1 / HDD on ATA :) and yet it used to work like a charm.
Now I run a 2.66Ghz Core2Duo e6750 / 4Gb DDR2 / SATA2 HDD
Quote:
OK, 10 folders, each has >1800 images

My main image folder has 30.3 GB of data : 566 sub-folders and 19363 files from which 4GB are 475 PDF documents. The rest of the files are jpeg, tif, gif, png and xcf.
Quote:
Do you have USE=thumbnail enabled for dolphin?

Yes, that use flag is set.
Quote:
Did you try iotop, too?

Well, no. because I didn't know about it and I've just installed now but it don't work because it warned me at the compilation time that I don't set CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING and now when I do
# iotop
Could not run iotop as some of the requirements are not met:
- Linux >= 2.6.20 with
- I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING)
... Well, I want my linux kernel to be as smaller can be and probable I considered it unnecessary when I configured the kernel.
Quote:
Somethings borked at your install :/

Don't know it but I only know it started with KDE-4.5.8 ! If I remember well, I was happier with KDE-4.0 !! Crazy, isn't it?!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: