View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruffman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: xfce4 didn't start after login on slim Reply with quote

Hi there.
I followed this guide and installed xfce4 successfully, using slim mentioned there. so on startup, slim starts and asks me for username and password. After entering correctly, it shows me just a black screen. If I'm logged in on tty I can start xfce4 either by typing startx or startxfce4. I have no idea why this refuses to work. I will post any necessary config or log on request.

Ruffman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I solved this myself, using -consolekit USE-Flag...
can anyone tell me, what is "consolekit" and what are its benefits?
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consolekit is for managing user permissions when he or she logs into a physical console, as opposed to a remote login.

Do your logout/shutdown/restart/hibernate/sleep buttons work? If you don't have consolekit, you'll have to manage these permissions manually.

Anyway, slim+XFCE4 w/ consolekit works for me. My relevant package versions (I use amd64, not ~amd64):

sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5-r1
x11-wm/slim-1.3.2-r7
xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.8.2
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of, you might want to switch to xdm or lxdm as slim is no longer under development. I believe console kit is related to communication between the graphical environment and the OS, including shutdown and buttons. You may want to try one of the above login managers with consolekit and see if the problem goes away, just don't forget to add consolekit to a run level (default I think)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

penguin swordmaster wrote:
First of, you might want to switch to xdm or lxdm as slim is no longer under development.[...]

What makes you think so? The latest slim release was less than one month ago (link).
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypnos wrote:

What makes you think so?

cant completely speak for him, but at least for a good while it'd sat untouched, even through a GLSA or two. So I at least get where he's coming from, though as you've pointed out the information on it being dead is either old, or was a misstatement based on it not being maintained on the gentoo side for a while.

NB: i may actually check it out again. Used it for a while when i was on e17 but had to scrap it because of that very reason; it went unmaintained.
Ruffman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great answers and hints. For me - just coming from Windows but changed to Xubuntu after I realized thats the same bloated stuff - I like Gentoo for its ability to make anything behave like I want while learning a lot about Linux in general. I have Xfce only So I think a Login or Display Manager has to be as small and easy as possible. So I feel SLIM fits that objectives most. As long as it works I will spend no time about thinking what login-manager can suid my needs, too.
Its more interesting what Hypnos tells about the buttons! They are not working (after asking for root pwd they refuse to work)
So I don't know if i wanna have consolekit, if someone can give me a hint, how I can configure this permissions myself ;)
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLiM is quite mature and it does not need more features - this is the reason why it is rarely updated.
You may want to look at my last article about SLiM on gentoo wiki:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/SLiM
(it is based on x11-misc/slim-1.3.3, I suggest to install this version as it will probably be stable very soon).

As for the [console|policy]kit thing - I do not use it at all.
In a single user enironment I found two reasons to enable it:

• to enable mounting/unmounting removable devices directly from file manager (pcmanfm in that case).
    Note that you are still able to automatically mount devices without it - for example using sys-apps/uam, which is a great little tool.
  • to make those sleep/hibernate actions work automagically

If you will need that things, take a look at this excelent post by ssuominen:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-858965.html
Ruffman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx,
can it be the case, that the lack of consolekit is the reason, why my xfce-Power-manager refuses to work exactly like in this post. Im not shure, cause it's an arch Thread...
And yes I read your slim guide, found the log and found out that consolekit USE-flag breaks it because not started. In the meanwhile I'll read the guide you linked
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: