Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
SOLVED: How to replace the window manager in recent GNOME-2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: SOLVED: How to replace the window manager in recent GNOME-2? Reply with quote

I recently rebuilt my desktop, and when I start up my X session, it ignores my preference for using fvwm. I notice under gconf-editor, in desktop -> gnome -> applications -> window_manager -> current, the "Long description" field reads, "Window manager to try first. This key has been dprecated since GNOME 2.12" (I'm running 2.32.1-r1.) So maybe that's why.

But, there's no mention of what replaced this key, or otherwise how to change the default WM. I've Googled some, and come up empty. Any hints?

Thanks.

Last edited by twork on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i remember, there is a file ~/.wmrc created at login with the chosen DE/WM. But I don't remember if the content is just "KDE"/"awesome" or if it's something like key=value. I can't look right now. I use KDM as login manager.

The global setting is in /etc/env.d/90xsession.

EDIT: 90xsession is not commented

Last edited by Apheus on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, no joy. I don't have a ~/.wmrc file and there's no 90xsession (or anything close to that) in the system's env.d directory. Maybe those are KDE-isms, or something?

I'm the primary user on this system but occasionally other people do run desktops here, so I'd like to make the change per-user if I can.
Apheus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did read the text but not the subject, and misunderstood you: You want to run GNOME as X session (which is correct), but not with it's default window manager. These are GNOME internals, /etc/env.d/90xsession will not help you there. It only defines the X session.

~/.wmrc might indeed be created by KDM.

I don't known much about GNOME internals, but most window managers can be run with the --replace option to replace the currently running WM. Assuming that fvwm has an executable "fvwm" and supports this:

Code:
$ fvwm --replace &

If this works from a console, you could try putting it in ~/.xinitrc or in a startup script in ~/.config/autostart. But this is clearly not the preferred way if there is a gconf key somewhere...

EDIT: 90xsession does not belong to any package.

Last edited by Apheus on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apheus wrote:
Assuming that fvwm has an executable "fvwm" and supports this:

Code:
$ fvwm --replace &

If this works from a console, you could try putting it in ~/.xinitrc or in a startup script in ~/.config/autostart. But this is clearly not the preferred way if there is a gconf key somewhere...

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now -- after my session starts, grab a terminal and run fvwm with --replace. Fine for a workaround but sort of crummy long term.

I tried putting fvwm in my xstartup file, then starting gnome-session by hand, but that had its own problems.
EatMeerkats
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try some of these ideas: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome#Setting_up_Gnome_to_use_Xmonad
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twork wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm doing now -- after my session starts, grab a terminal and run fvwm with --replace. Fine for a workaround but sort of crummy long term.

This may be obvious have you tried
Code:

export WINDOW_MANAGER="/usr/bin/fvwm"
twork
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldTango wrote:

This may be obvious have you tried
Code:

export WINDOW_MANAGER="/usr/bin/fvwm"

Apparently, not obvious to me; I had no idea that GNOME honored a WINDOW_MANAGER variable. That does work. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: