Script to mass convert mp3s
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayseejc3191
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Script to mass convert mp3s Reply with quote

I wasn't sure where to ask this, so i guess here's the best place.

I'm looking for a script (or maybe something else) to mass convert massive quantities of mp3s (mainly mp3s) down to a single constant bit rate, then get rid of the old mp3, maintaining the id3 tag in the process. I don't need anything fancy, mainly just something to save disk space (i'm stuck with an 80gb hdd)
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you don't care about quality, this is a bad idea. Can't you get another harddisk (external if necessary)?
jayseejc3191
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't care all that much for quality. Anything past 192 kb/s I don't notice any difference. Plus I'm just a high school student still trying to find a job in this damn economy, so I have no money for a second hdd.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, fair enough. If you need the diskspace, and dont need to keep the mp3's around for some crippled device, I recommend to convert your music library to ogg vorbis. You can get similar quality to mp3 with lower bitrates. But don't go for cbr, as variable bitrates are much better. I would recommend in your case to try oggenc -q 4 which is vbr ~128-160 kbps.

There are scripts out there to do batch conversion for you. Try mp32ogg (in portage). And I think I remember seeing a bash script in our Documentation, Tips & Tricks subforum at some point in the past.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: