Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What is knotify4 and why is it eating my memory?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adversity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: What is knotify4 and why is it eating my memory? Reply with quote

I know this is something associated with KDE, I'm really more curious as to why it's eating up so much RAM? It seems like a memory leak as it happens over time after the system has been up for awhile. Can't quite pin down what causes it. I've seen it take up all available memory and cause the swap to balloon to 1+GB.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3388/knotify4rape.png
franzf
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes see this, too - but only, when I do a kde-update and only for active kde-sessions. Logging out, loggin in and all is fine again!
I don't know what causes this behaviour, but I never get it just by using kde.
So: Did you do a kde-update? Do you get this high memory-consumption every time you use kde? If yes. would a fresh ~/.kde4 eliminate your problem?
deStilaDo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the memory leak is in the xine sound backend [1]. Setup another sound backend should solve the memory problem, you can vlc, gstreamer, mplayer, etc., instead of xine.
[1] http://paul-pach.blogspot.com.br/2008/03/finding-bloat-in-kde4.html
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deStilaDo wrote:
It seems the memory leak is in the xine sound backend [1]. Setup another sound backend should solve the memory problem, you can vlc, gstreamer, mplayer, etc., instead of xine.
[1] http://paul-pach.blogspot.com.br/2008/03/finding-bloat-in-kde4.html

you cannot use xine as a phonon backend with KDE already for some time. So if it is any recent installation of KDE, there is no xine backend there.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knotify is part of the kde4 notification system, which you can visually identify as the little icon in your system tray from which the notification popups and the progress bars (when copying, moving files, etc) slip up. So, you should be vigilant if this happens after some intensive display of popups or the like, of if you have a lot of hidden notifications that you didn't read sitting in there.

In any case, this is indicative of a problem somewhere in the knotify code, and you should look in the kde bug tracker yourself (bugs.kde.org).

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=knotify

If you can't find anything that matches your case in there, please, report it so the bug can get fixed. In the while, you might want to take a look in the system-settings center of kde. There's a dialog somewhere to configure which services get started when kde starts, maybe there's a way to disable knotify until it gets fixed, I don't really know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: