shutdown and full system update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falling_Icaro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: shutdown and full system update Reply with quote

The most greetings :)
-
I hope im not bothering you with with old and repetead questions... im am newby at this forum, and maybe im not very confortable with it yet.. i see it is a lot frequented, which is allways good.. however e feel a little lost with its tons of information, i tried to make some searches too, however the engine time response is a little less than acceptable (my ISP fault probably)

well, that said lets see:
- i made a primary mistake when i configured the USE flag. I add support for APM, however my PC laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100) BIOS support instead ACPI (v2). i suspect it works with APM also, but since i can take more use of the hardware if i have ACPI enabled (and i cannot have them boot - i read it somewhere), i had configure the linux kernel (gentoo-kernel) with ACPI support (and removed APM in the Kernell).

- well the first thing i done when i got the system up and usable was to install acpid and set it to boot time. i tested it and worked.
However when i try to shutdown it does some stuff and write a label "Power Off" (or something like that), and it stays there, with Power On.

- My conclusions are that since i set USE="apm", when i compiled all the stuff, somehow the shutdown script was build with APM support and not ACPI (since it wasnt on USE flag).. and since i didnt add support for apm in kernel, it just doesnt do all the job.

- I have done other mistake. in begining i didnt want gnome nor kde, so i set USE="-kde -gnome".
However now i want gnome support and i want that all the stuff i got compiled already be compiled again (those which can use USE="gnome")

- In resume i am asking for a way to ensure system coerence with the USE flags.. now my system is incoerent cause i have USE="acpi gnome" and in fact none application had built in support for both (cause i changed USE recently)

Well.. thanks in advance. if you think i had other ways to find out that stuff please make me know!

- Jose' M. Fernandes
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: