Intel 8x0, ALSA and 2.6 Kernel SOLVED!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Intel 8x0, ALSA and 2.6 Kernel SOLVED! Reply with quote

I've installed the 2.6 kernel (worth the effort if you ask me) and the only thing holding me back from using it fully is some minor(-ish) problems with sound.

I've got an Intel 8x0 chipset (AC '97), and have ALSA compiled as a module. I can run ALSAPlayer, mp3blaster and XMMS all OK but the problem is that as soon as I run anything else (even emerge sync) the sound stutters and crackles until you pause or stop it. If you start it again it works fine until the next time the system is busy.

Normally I'd say that I need to upgrade my PC but it's a 2.7gHz P4 with 1Gb ram so I'm not convinced that it's hardware based.

If anyone has any suggestions, thinks that I should post a specific file or ANYTHING I would appreciate it as I'm getting desperate now.

Thanks,

Celtis

Last edited by Celtis on Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an i810 card and am also running the 2.6 kernel.

With the test5 version of the devel kernel, I had problems with xmms skipping when the system was busy, but these problems were fixed with the test6 release which was in portage early yesterday morning.

I might mention that my hardware is a bit more modest than yours, with a 1GHz P3 and 256mb memory.

So I would try test6 if you haven't. If you have, we'll go from there.

Last edited by Redson on Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably also worth mentioning that I have also compiled into the kernel, not as a module. I don't think that this would make a difference, but I thought you might like to know
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Oh! I knew that there was something that I forgot to mention - I'm using the test5 kernel and I've had the same problem with ALSA compiled into the kernel and then as modules and I get the same thing with both.

I'll give Test6 a try and let you know if I have any more success!

Thanks again,

Celtis
koala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I experience the same problem. It's a rather annoying sound corruption. If I use artsd it happens less than with esd, and using the OSS driver removes the problem IIRC.

Do you use ACPI?
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do have ACPI enabled, I wonder if it's worth trying with it disabled.

I've upgraded to the Test6 kernel with ALSA and the drivers built in and still have the same problem. ARGH!!! This is driving me insane!

Redson: Can you remember exactly what you did after you compiled the kernel (e.g. emerge alsa-drivers, etc) so that I can give that a try too.

Thanks again,

Celtis
Zoltan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience (intel8x0 alsa driver with 2.6.0-test5-bk8 kernel, acpi enabled) is directly the opposite. Xmms playing through alsa is quite stable on the load, but when I try arts output (not sure which driver arts usees, probably alsa oss) I get a lot more sound breaks. Especially when burning CDs, SUIDed cdrecord runs with RT priority and while not wasting any CPU it definitely slows down any desktop responsiveness. With arts when burning CDs I got the same problem like you have, sound didn't restore until xmms was paused/resumed.

Btw I run all my emerge tasks with nice -n 19. Emerge sync is quite CPU and disk intensive.
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give the other sound servers a try and see how much success I have there.

I know that emerge sync is quite intensive but in 2.4 I can run emerge sync, VMWare and some text editors and still listen to music with no problem. I think that I must have missed something when I've set it up :(
Redson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have alsa built into the kernel you don't have to emerge alsa-driver ever again. So I haven't done that.

I don't have ACPI stuff in my kernel at all. I don't know if that would cause a problem or not.

I normally don't use kde, so I haven't tried artsd with it yet. When I get home, I'll try that out and see if that's causing the problem.
cyclocross
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also running 2.6.0-test6 with AC97 and sound seems to work fine. I've compiled into the kernel as well. One thing though my settings aren't being saved after logging out. Anyone know how to get that to work?
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, using OSS emulation works better than Alsa itself. I don't know if its a problem with the Alsa plugins for various programs (since the version in the kernel is newer) or what, but I find that if I select OSS in most apps things work better. Also, I find that using a sound server like ESD/Arts works well too because they buffer sound.. so if there is a 'skip' some where, you don't hear it since its reading from a buffer.
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyclocross wrote:
I'm also running 2.6.0-test6 with AC97 and sound seems to work fine. I've compiled into the kernel as well. One thing though my settings aren't being saved after logging out. Anyone know how to get that to work?

emerge alsa-utils - I believe, adds the '/etc/init.d/alsasound' script. You just then need to 'rc-update add alsasound default' and your sound settings will be restored on restart
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the alsasound script doesn't work correctly with the 2.6 kernels. To save your settings use alsamixer in a console or terminal (as root) to set your volume levels, then type 'alsactl store'. Stick 'alsactl restore' in /etc/conf.d/local.start to restore your sound settings on boot.
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you guys emerge alsa-drivers with the beta kernels? because i have the test5-bk8 kernel and after not using gentoo for about a month because i was pissed about the gcc upgrade, switching to slack, coming back to gentoo and starting off freshly with the beta kernel, i remembered what a developer had told me about what i thought was a bug once with alsa and that was to remove the drivers with the beta kernel because i couldn't get sound at all. so, would someone please shed some light for me? thanks

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." -- John F. Kennedy
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy run-on sentence, Batman! 8O

Anyway, yeah.. you don't need alsa-driver at all. Why? Because that package contains all that Alsa drivers for various sound cards. Makes sense, eh? Right. Well, in the new kernel, all those drivers in the alsa-driver package are actually in the kernel itself. No extra download. When you compile your kernel, build the alsa modules you need for your card and you're done.
Celtis
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monicajae wrote:
did you guys emerge alsa-drivers with the beta kernels?

No, you should just have to compile the drivers into the kernel and away you go! (In theory anyway!)

For completeness, I've solved the sound problem! First I swapped Kernels, I went from the development-sources-2.6.0-beta6 to mm-sources-2.6.0-beta6 as this fixed the clicking problems created by ALSA. HALF WAY THERE!

So now that the clicking has been fixed I've been left with just the skipping problem. The soultion to this was that I didn't have DMA enabled! The only way to enable DMA in 2.6 is by compiling your IDE controller into the kernel and then using hdparm to enable it... voila! No more sound problems.

Hope this helps someone else and thanks to everyone else for their suggestions,

Celtis
monicajae
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
Holy run-on sentence, Batman!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! :D

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly." -- John F. Kennedy
Air-Op
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using:
kernel-2.6.0-test11
nforce1 mobo
athlon-xp 1700+
512 ram
7200 RPM disk
always compiling something or doing something very cpu intensive

I built my kernel with genkernel
The first time I didn't inlcude the alsa-oss emulation stuff into the kernel... sound did not work at all.

Then I enabled it, and it worked.

Then I went in and enabled some security options.
It started skipping

oh, the software:
kle 3.1.4
artsd

xmms xine .. everything studders... and I'm listening to the Matrix Reloaded sound track right now... maybe it's deja vu?? and the matrix is resetting every couple a 10's of seconds?

either that or God is playing me like I played Max Payne... go arround a corner save, go arround corner save....

hdparam /dev/hdc5

/dev/hdc5:
multcount = 0 (off)
IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmaskirq = 1 (on)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 65535/16/63, sectors = 40965687, start = 4353678
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Op wrote:
Then I went in and enabled some security options.
It started skipping

Disable some security options?

I assume you're talking about kernel security. It says not to make your security to high or some software won't work correctly. Guess this is what they're talking about, eh?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: