Gentoo 2008 running in Vm 8 - **Solved Gentoo 2012 Vm 8**
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krodrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Gentoo 2008 running in Vm 8 - **Solved Gentoo 2012 Vm 8** Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction, I am trying to update, upgrade Gentoo 2008 to a current version but not really sure how to while running in vm.

Thanks.

Last edited by krodrigue on Sun May 13, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather install a new system than upgrade a box from 2008 (you might not even be able to do this upgrade without doing some nasty stuff, hence, emerge only will not help).
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that. Unless you have maintained regular updates after about 6 months it becomes practically impossible to update. The part of the problem is that your gcc and glibc versions cannot go directly from where they were in 2008 to where they are now. You would need to upgrade each package in stages. It would be faster and easier to simply reinstall.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
krodrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought,

I downloaded the Gentoo VM thinking I could update it but soon found out that it was not going to happen. I will try and install frm scratch, do you no of any good guides to do this in Vmware 8. It looks like I would just follow the guide then use the Gentoo wiki guide once in the system.
krodrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: That Sounds About Right Reply with quote

I down loaded the Gentoo VM thinking I would update it but soon found out that was not gonna work. I will try and install frm scratch, do you no of a good guide to do this in Vmware. It looks like I would follow the install guide then use the Gentoo wiki on how to install using Vmware once in the system.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krodrigue,

There is nothing special for a new install in a VMware VM. The are a few gotchas to take care with though

VMware provides a whole new system for you to install in. It has a BIOS, there is not much fo you to play with there, and its own emulated hardwre.
When you are setting up your kernel and you use lspci or lspci -k to look at the hardware, be sure to run the command inside the VM.
The virtual hardware is not related to your physical hardware and your install in VMware will run on the virtual hardware.

Take care too when you set VIDEO_CARDS in make.conf. Make the setting to suit the VM, not your physical hardware.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
krodrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 3.2.12-Gentoo Reply with quote

I was able to install the current Gentoo on Vmware Workstation 8, I only ran into one problem, when compliing the kernel, kept erroring out it was a busybox problem had to edit the file and no more problems. (This file needed to be changed...Config_FEATURE_MOUNT_NFS=n...instead of y)

My next step is to try and install Gnome, I will have to read up on the video card set-up for vm.
krodrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Gnome Reply with quote

I was able to install Gnome, went with Gnome-Lite that might have been a mistake because it installed fine but I had no applications and the keyboard stopped working. Decided to install LXDE and everything worked, almost...still no keyboard after a little research I found a post that fixed the keyboard problem...had to emerge -av xf86-input-uvdev and it worked again.

Still have not put to much effort into sorting out Gnome i might take a look at that a little later.
krodrigue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Solved Reply with quote

Fresh Instll:
Genoo x86_64 2012 on Vmware 8, I used the install-x86_64-minimal-<release>.iso, then the current stage 3 kernel for 2012.

After the kernel faild to compile busybox error.

**Busybox problem kernel failure

Changed file /usr/share/genkernel/defaults/busy-config with,

Code:
CONFIG_FEATURE_MOUNT_NFS=n

**After emerging Gnome no apps or keyboard,

Code:
emerge -av xf86-input-evdev

I went with this in my make.conf, Gnome.

Code:
#-----------------------------
XUSE="truetype X new-login xorg xscreensaver xv xcomposite xinerama opengl aiglx"
IMAGEUSE="jpeg gif tiff png svg pdf"
MEDIAUSE="alsa mad vidix asf win32codecs dvd mp4 aac x264 xvid nsplugin mp3 real gstreamer"
GENERAL="samba java bzip2 symlink sqlite spell xml"
SYSTEM="hal fam dbus aoss threads"
NOTUSE="-arts -qt4 -ipv6"
KDEUSE="-kde -qt3"
GNOMEUSE="gtk cairo glitz gnome firefox"

USE="${NOTUSE} ${SYSTEM} ${GENERAL} ${IMAGEUSE} ${XUSE} ${KDEUSE} ${MEDIAUSE} ${GNOMEUSE}"
#------------------------------

I ended up with a complete up to date Gentoo box running in Vmware 8.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: