VMWare & Network Block Device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinjutas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: VMWare & Network Block Device Reply with quote

G'day all,

I'm wondering if someone could help me shed some light on this problem I am having. I've managed to get Gentoo up and running beautifully thanks to this great community and the almighty forum search AND the fine manuals. Alas I wasn't able to find any information on this. I also tried troubleshooting tips on the vmware site but to no avail.

Basically what I'm trying to do is mount a virtual disk using a network block device. I've added the NBD support in the kernel along with NTFS read support (since that is the filesystem of the virtual disk).

To mount it I do:

Code:

/opt/vmware/bin/vmware-mount.pl hdisk.vmdk 1 /mnt/vfs

Then I get:

Code:

--------------------------------------------------------
VMware for Linux - Virtual Hard Disk Mounter
Version 1.0 Build-5592
--------------------------------------------------------

It has been reported that this program does not work correctly 2.4+ Linux kernels in some cases and you are currently running such a kernel. Do you really want to continue? [N]

(I choose Y anyway)

Network Block Device Detected.

Client: The partition is now mapped on the /dev/hb0 Network Block Device.
Warning: Tried to read beyond EOF
Mount: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hb0, or to many mounted file systems.

Detected NTFS filesystem type.
Warning: Tried to read beyond EOF
Mount: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hb0, or to many mounted file systems.

Unable to mount the Network Block Device on the /mnt/vfs mount point. Please make sure that nothing is currently using the mount point and that your kernel supports the partition type you want to mount before re-running this script.

So it does it boil down to the fact that I am running a 2.4 kernel? Or did I miss a step? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: