Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] No interwebs. None to be found.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duff_man08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: [solved] No interwebs. None to be found. Reply with quote

Hey, I'm having troubles with internet.
I could never get Ethernet to work at all, and when I got X and gnome running, the networkmanager doesn't show any connections (like eth0) and when I go to add one, every-thing's all greyed out.
I'm on the testing branch. (only because I'll always run into masking problems when I try to do stable)
I disabled net.eth0 and net.wlan, rebooted, deleted the network config file, rebooted, and then deleted init.d for the network connections (because the wiki for networkmanager said to not let them start at boot)
And obviously, nothing works. lol.

I will say I have great performance, though, and this means I'm pretty secure, right? haha.
I could just chroot from LveUSB anytime I need updates. But, internet is always nice.
I get the feeling I'm missing something.

I have Intel Ultimate-N 6300 (which is covered by iwl6000-ucode) and Intel 82577LC for Ethernet (which I couldn't find drivers for in the kernel, so I picked the two closest ones)

Thank you for putting up with n00bs like me!

=)

Last edited by duff_man08 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
BillWho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duff_man08

Quote:
I could just chroot from LveUSB anytime I need updates. But, internet is always nice.

Not the best scenario though right :lol:

It might be that you failed to compile the proper module(s) for your network adapters.

You can plug your lspci -n info here http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ or check the loaded modules when booted to the live cd.

If you go back to the handbook and follow the network setup directions, you should be fine.

Good luck :wink:

Since installing gentoo, my life has become one long emerge :)
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick check might be to boot off a live distro - any live distro. If that can find the
Internet - and they almost always can - then so can Gentoo. And looking at the modules
(lsmod) the distro loads might give you an idea of what drivers your network hardware needs.

Will
duff_man08
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed =)
The problem was that during the network file configuration, i did eth0_config *and* wlan0_config. Even if that could work (maybe it would if I don't need firmware blobs, idk?) I still essentially told the base system to handle it, not the firmware that's installed separately.
So it all works now =)

@BillWho
Thanks for that site, that should definitely be posted more. Didn't even think to set up bluetooth, webcam, etc. till i ran that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: