View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFueley
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: XF86config questions Reply with quote

I just finished installing and config'ing X, everything works fine as far as i can see. Question is, i have an Nvidia Vanta card and X started fine without loading the driver for it. i followed the install instructions on the docs page for config'ing a graphical desktop. it says to load the Nvidia drivers. i did that and restarted X, it worked, but i saw no Nvidia logo, and no change from before i had installed the drivers. Also got a kernel tainted message, which im told is no big deal. btw, i didn't have to make any changes to my XF86 config file. is it possible that i just installed the modules for my card during the initial kernel compilation? Only because, before i installed the driver, lsmod showed no *nvidia* module loaded, after i installed it, i loaded the module, and like i said before, saw no change when i started X. any input? should i just remove the nvidia module from my /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 file? Got another couple of questions, but i'll make new posts. Thanks all.....oh crap, i posted this in the wrong place, sorry.
jatf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xf86config will use the "nv" driver instead of the "nvidia" one. "nv" is the GPL driver, "nvidia" is the proprietary one.

If you follow the installation instructions that come with the "nvidia" driver, they tell you how to edit the XF86Config file so that you will use the correct driver.

If you don't get the nvidia splash (and you haven't disabled it in XF86Config) then you aren't running the "nvidia" driver, you are running the "nv" driver.

Adopt an unanswered post HERE
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: