View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugin84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] cannot change Locale in X / Xfce4 Reply with quote

I just updated my system and now I cannot change my keyboard layout in X anymore, I'm stuck with en_US. Using the us layout is a PITA for me, sorry to say. I usually use a Norwegian layout.
The problem exists for all applications in X including terminal emulators, on the shell its working fine, though.

Am I missing an obvious point here?
Need any logs or output of any commands?

Probably a related issue: I used to start X manually; I added xdm to the boot level only after the issue described above occured. Terminal then told me that it failed to bind keys or something similar due to rights problems when I issued 'loadkeys no-latin1' as a user, as root there was no message at all. I switched to slim and now it says "Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console".

Another weird slim keyboard behaviour: on the login screen 'Fn' is toggled, so I have to hold it down when typing in my password... I can live with that, though. Used to be the case in all applications the last time I enabled slim, which is why I fell back to starting X manually. Doing it for login only is ok for now...

Last edited by hugin84 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you configured your keyboard layout for X as it is mentioned in the manual?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml (chapter five)

As for the second question - if you mean the 'Fn' laptop key, then it is controlled by BIOS (or the keyboard controler). I know no way to control it from the O/S level and I cannot imagine how SLiM could alter its state.
hugin84
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't change my xorg.conf after updating, checking the guide and doing it fixed the issue (in other words: yes I did miss an obvious point. d'uh :oops: )
Thanks a lot!

As for Slim messing with the Fn key: Yes, I did mean the Fn laptop key and I don't have the slightest idea what's wrong there but it does. But like I mentioned above, last time I enabled Slim it affected all applications in X, now it only affects the login screen so its OK, Slim may now stay :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: