View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyberMuz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: [SOLVED ]KDE problem on startup Reply with quote

I have a strange problem with KDE (v. 4.8.3) after the last emerge world. When I boot the system KDE doesnt start fully. It asks me for username/password and then opens my Deskop but some applications in tray are not started (for example Klipper and there is no icon for volume control), and I'm unable to use system shortcuts like Alt+F2 or my custom shorcut Ctrl+Alt+T that starts Konsole. Also system seems to be working slower than usual. When I restart the KDE from terminal and login again to KDE for the second time everything works perfectly.
Do you have any idea what causes this strange behavior on first KDE start? This is not a big problem but it's quite annoying because I have to restart KDE every time i boot my computer.

Last edited by CyberMuz on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having similar symptoms, but intermittently (maybe 1 of 10 or so startups). I'm posting from work & can post my exact KDE version tonight, but it's the stable 4.8.* in portage.

A few weeks ago I installed klipper, but couldn't get it to autostart at logon at all, which I think it should do as part of KDE's session saving logic, if it's running at shutdown (I have KDE's sessions configured to save each session at shutdown). I ended up just adding klipper to my autostart script. That autostart script also runs a dropbox.py startup script, and every once in a while one or both of those doesn't run at startup. The last time dropbox didn't start, I opened ksysguard, and noticed a dropbox zombie thread for a few seconds before it went away entirely. I haven't been able to find any errors anywhere after this happens (didn't see anything in .xsession-errors).
CyberMuz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have solved this by removing contents of the /var/tmp/kdecache-user/ directory. Now it's working without any problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: