Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is Rhythmbox masked? And how to install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Why is Rhythmbox masked? And how to install? Reply with quote

Hey,
Everybody are speaking about the wonderful music player and organizer Rhythmbox and I were about to test it too. I found out that it is Masked. Why? Is there something wrong about it? How can i Install it?
Redson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used rythmbox, so I'm not sure why it's masked, but if you want to see other people's experiences, search the forum for "rythmbox".

To install it type:
Code:
$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge rhythmbox

Assuming you're not running a sparc, ppc, or alpha processor.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's masked because it's fairly unstable. IIRC, the ebuild maintainers even took rhythmbox OUT of portage because of its instability, they only fairly recently put it back in the portage tree.

I've tried Rhythmbox for a little bit after I had been using Musik and atleast in comparison, I have to vouch for Rhythmbox's instability. It's nice because it supports a few more formats than Musik, but Musik is both a lot faster (because of its sqlite backend compared to.. xml? .. fmod is also a lot less boaty than gstreamer) and felt a little more solid.
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fmod also isn't Free (as in speech), whereas Gstreamer is. I don't know whether that's important to you or not, but it is to many people (myself included). Besides, if you don't like Gstreamer, or think it's not mature enough yet, you can make Rhythmbox use the Xine-lib backend with:

Code:

USE="-gstreamer xine" emerge rhythmbox

As for it being unstable...version 0.5.3 hasn't crashed on me once, and I use it probably 8+ hours a day, every day *shrug* Version 0.6 will introduce a new system for the database, most likely some relational database format as opposed to the XML tree they currently use, so that will take care of that concern as well, although I don't really see a problem with the ~3000 songs that are loaded into it on my computer...
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I have admittedly not given Rhythmbox too much of a chance.

It is noticebly slower than Musik, though.. it took a good 5-7 minutes to load my ~7000 songs initially, and it seems to take around 30-45 seconds to update whenever I change my view. Most of this will probably be better once they move to a db backend of sorts, I would think.

Hopefully they'll implement a sort of "Dynamic playlist" like Musik has, when the time comes. Those are really handy.

It also seems to properly support UTF8, where, as far as I can tell, Musik doesn't seem to. Which is neat. Being able to play my FLACs is also a Good Thing(TM).

I guess I'll give RB another shot.. who knows, I may have to join the RB bandwagon once 0.7 rolls around. ;)

And whether it's Free or not.. well, I run Windows on another one of my machines, so that should say something. ;) It's nice to have the source handy, but I figure it's not a "make it or break it" thing since it wouldn't be much use to me anyway.
brainlock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kesereti said is true, the rhythmbox devs are already working on a database backend called RyhthmDB. watch out for the next version, I think it will be pretty good. Plus, it is already very stable for me.

brainlock
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,
I'am going to try that musik.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: