Tricky alsa kernel 2.6 problem.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Tricky alsa kernel 2.6 problem. Reply with quote

Hi, I have kernel 2.6-test 5 installed on a Gentoo Linux machine (yeah I know there's a more recent version, but I figured I might as well wait now for an RC release or something, the betas are comming thick and fast). Anyhoo, as you may or may not know, alsa is now included as an official component of the new kernel.

However my problem is I have no analouge sound system to connect to the anolouge outs on my computer system. All I have is an optical digital out connected to a SPDIF connector on my motherboard, leading in turn to a dolby digital 7.1 reciever. But unsurprisingly to some here perhaps, I cannot hear any sound.

I know this settup works in Linux, as the identical same set-up worked in Red Hat without any additional configuration by me at all.

I have enabled alsa in the kernel and disabled OSS support.

the options I have in the kernel are:

Code:
*> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture                 

<*>   Sequencer support   

[M] Sequencer dummy client
[*]  OSS API emulation
[*]  OSS Mixer API
[*] OSS PCM (digital audio) API
[*] OSS Sequencer API
[ ] RTC Timer support
[ ]   Verbose printk
[ ]   Debug

The onboard soundchip I have is listed in KDE info centre as VT8233/8235 which is a very common chip - and as I said is certainly well supported for digital out-put under Red Hat.

Has anyone any input they can offer? Do you have a similar configuration, or at least have some suugestions to get it going?

All input is wecome.

Q

PS

If I get this going this will mean I will have something in Linux which I have never had before, which is full accelerated video and sound. I am extremely keen to do this and have tried many distributions in order to figure out how to get it going. If I could haveboth these things, the chances are I might opt to abandon Windows completely. So it would be a great service to me if you knew and could help me get this going.

The soundserver is loading properly on start -p and I get no errors when starting KDE, so I'm pretty sure sound has started - although as I said I have no way of telling if analouge sound is working or not. There isn't even an option in kmixer for digital sound (SPDIF) outpout.
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever had this setup working in gentoo before? radhat probably configured something automaticaly w/ alsa. I'm guessing that your problem lies w/ your alsa config, not the kernel. you probably need to work some asound magic. do some searching around for that. I'm not good w/ asound, but it sounds like you need to route some signals or something through that. maybe try running alsamixer and seeing if you can do something useful through there.
Baldzius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi raid517 :)

I see you got new problems

I also have a VT8235 chipset and also have problem with sound using alsa drivers. Don't know nthg about test5 or test6, but from test1 to test4 there were no sound from my computer so i am using OSS drivers.
I think it's related to kernel as have no problem with 2.4.x kernel.

Also check dmesg output, what it is saying about your sound chipset?
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the input and reading my question. Unfortunately the answer to your question is no, I have never had this configuration working in gentoo before. But then again, I never really got this far with Gentoo before. Sound is the only remaining hurdle. Let me correct that... I have had sound working on this configuration in the past, but it was purely analouge sound, not digital/SPDIF.

I put this down at the time to the rather old version of alsa that was available on the portage tree, and at that time resolved I would give the 2.6 kernel a go as that had built in alsa support already - and a much more up to date version too.

In any case, as regards Alsa mixer, I have everything turned up full and I still can't hear anything. There isn't a control in alsa mixer that I can see that is specifically for SPDIF output anyway.

Red Hat was cool for this, it took nothing from me to get it to work. However Red Hat was a dependancy nightmare, which made me abandon it.

I am curious about this alsa.config file you refer to? Does alsa have a config file like this? And if so how would I go about enabling it to ouput digital sound only?

All input is appreciated.

Q
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldzius wrote:
Hi raid517 :)

I see you got new problems

I also have a VT8235 chipset and also have problem with sound using alsa drivers. Don't know nthg about test5 or test6, but from test1 to test4 there were no sound from my computer so i am using OSS drivers.
I think it's related to kernel as have no problem with 2.4.x kernel.

Also check dmesg output, what it is saying about your sound chipset?

Lol dude yeah, problems a plenty. But I figure that once I work them all out I will know so much about Linux I won't have to ask anyone any questions ever again Heck maybe people will ask me questions. :) I really am learning a lot.

Our problems are slightly different I think. You say you have no sound since 2.6.test 1 and are using OSS drivers. Well for me that isn't really possible as I only have digital output. No old style sound sytem at all.

I wonder if your problems might have something to do with having older components of ALSA installed, while the kernel itself was using newer versions? This might cause a mismatch.

If so that would make our problems completely different.

The ouput I get from dmesg is as follows:

Code:
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.6 (Wed Aug 20 20:27:13 2003 UTC).
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0. error = -16
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:11.5 to 64
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 1: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x501
ALSA device list:
  #0: VIA 8235 at 0xe000, irq 10
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 4096 buckets, 32Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 65536)

Which loojks fine to me. I mean, there must be a configuration file somewhere I should be able to edit to get digital sound? This chip is extremely common, so hopefully someone will have experience of how to get digital sound going. :) If you do, please let me know.

Thanks for your time. :)

Q
Baldzius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raid517 wrote:

Code:
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse on isa0060/serio1
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
input: AT Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.6 (Wed Aug 20 20:27:13 2003 UTC).
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0. error = -16
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:11.5 to 64
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 1: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x501
ALSA device list:
  #0: VIA 8235 at 0xe000, irq 10
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 4096 buckets, 32Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 65536)

Not sure about this line: request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-0. error = -16
I'm not guru but it could be related to modules alias or maybe not.

Quote:

I mean, there must be a configuration file somewhere I should be able to edit to get digital sound? This chip is extremely common, so hopefully someone will have experience of how to get digital sound going. :) If you do, please let me know.

Nope, don't have, and haven't used any advanced options, as i need only pure sound. AFAIK you can pass options throught module, but don't know how exactly, have no experience.

BTW: try OSS
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you building teh alsa drivers into the kernel or as modules? the sound file to check out is /etc/asound.conf. i don't think gentoo even creates one by default. check out this page on the alsa site. they call it the .asoundrc file. (/etc/asound.conf is global whereas .asoundrc would go in your home dir). I gotta run to school, but wanted to shoot that over to you. and yes, i know it's really confusing =)
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. But this is where it gets really confusing as I don't have a file called /etc/asound.conf, or asound anything for that matter.... Also, just to clarify, I opted to include alsa as part of the kernel and not as modules, so that possibly could be why you are seeing that message. I could try including them as modules, but until I learn how to enable digital out-put that isn't much use either.

As for OSS, I can't use it, as as far as I'm aware OSS does not support digital output and that is the only option I have atm. I do not currently have any analogue speakers i could use.

Ahh rats... You know I have asked the cream of the Linux community about this and no one seems to know...

I wonder though, what if I removed alsa support from the 2.6 kernel and just installed alsa the old way if that would make any difference? Then again, I still wouldn't have a clue how to enable SPDIF output.

I wonder what on earth Red Hat did to get it going?

Q
tad
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked ALSA's soundcard list, and I don't see your chipset listed. Maybe Red Hat actually used OSS?
cyclocross
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you should do is check to see if alsa supports spdif out in your driver. Go to the Alsa website and take a look at the matrix. Redhat could have benn using OSS, so that is maybe why it worked there. Also on my sound card(AC97) in my mixer(gnome alsa mixer) I have a check box that will send the analog signal through the spdif. I have a whole bunch of check boxes with cryptic titles just below the volumne slides. I had to experientment with those check boxes to get things running the way I liked.

Best of luck.
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, but you all keep mentioning OSS, I thought OSS didn't support SPDIF out?

Also I just emerged gnome-alsamixer, and there is no mention there at all of SPDIFor out there either. There is a mention of 'external amplifier power down', but I'm not even quite sure what that means.

It's not looking good I'm afraid...

Q
krinkle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this page under the heading "S/PDIF Output" ..http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233. It looks semi promising... but it still might not work. also to quote the artice
Quote:

Heh. It seems that it 0.9 largely broken on 8233 as of 0.9.4..0.9.7 at least.
For now, OSS would "just work" and ALSA would exhibit all kinds of weird behaviour :-("

If you have a via8235 these steps should still work, but i'm not certain. If the alsa support is in fact broken (it might not be for you), you either have to emerge .9.3 (ish) drivers or install oss =). You might want to check out the alsa-user mailing list as well.
There isn't a asound.conf file by default for gentoo systems, so it's normal that you don't have one.. most people won't need to futz with it. There are several people on this board that know the asound file fairly well (i'm not one of them), so they might pop thier heads in and give a bit of advice =)
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks, that guide looks useful, but I think I need to deal with the basic gentoo guide first. You see I have now changed alsa support to a module and all subfeatures are now modules too. I did this so that I could more closely follow the gentoo install guide. (All I did was omit the part about actually installing the alsa driver, since the 2.6-test6 kernel already has it installed).

My problem now is much more basic. I need to load my via82xx module, but to do that I need to know what it's called. Unfortunately the kernel helpfile (what there is of it) gives no clue about this.

Also when following the Gentoo alsa guide, one of the instructions is to run 'modules-update'. However whenever I run modules-update I always get an error saying:

Code:
bash-2.05b# modules-update
Warning: could not generate /etc/modprobe.conf!

What does this mean and how do I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Q
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is something weird going on... I can play DVD's and hear them just fine in Xine by selecting a_52 passthrough. (Which I assume is the same as SPDIF passthrough). So I do know digital out works...

The problem is how to get it to work for the rest of the system?

Q
thomasando
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had similar problems with my audigy, and again with my onboard sound card which i believe used the same module (can't check now as I'm at work). with the audigy, there was an option in the mixer to enable digital out. I ticked it. worked great! For the onboard card though, it was a bit more tricky than that. There was an option, I think it was maybe IEC9258 or something like that which I ticked, and then I had to adjust the slider for that volume control to 0, and all of a sudden I had a digital output... this was in gnome-alsamixer.

i'll try to remember to confirm the names of these settings for you when i get home :D
raid517
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do. I'm at a loss here. Especially now since even sound in xine has inexplicably dies for no good reason whatsoever too. One minute it was working, and then the next it wasn't.

Q
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: