ATI HD4200 (integrated) Video Drivers/Mplayer playback
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avkhatri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: ATI HD4200 (integrated) Video Drivers/Mplayer playback Reply with quote

I've never used Gentoo with an ATI card before and I am having some trouble understanding driver support.

Looking at the ATI FAQ on Gentoo, my card (4000 series) is supported with only xorg. So does that mean there is no proprietary driver support? Before I read the FAQ page I had gone through the steps of setting up fglrx (that was by accident and i reversed those changes). I also emerged xf86-video-ati and that didn't make a difference either.

When I run glxinfo as stated in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/dri-howto.xml

Code:
glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes

The output of glxgears is smooth but I recently read that it's not a benchmark tool

As far as the issues I am experiencing:

- Fullscreen videos on mplayer are extremely choppy.

- I used to have an NVIDIA card in this machine and with 3d acceleration I was able to play a game on WINE flawlessly (Star Wars: KOTOR which is labeled as Gold on WINE's website) however the video output looks like this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/529/screenshotuk.png/

So am I stuck with the open source drivers or is there a way to get more performance out of this card? (I'm not too worried about the WINE part because thats a whole different story on its own, I was just using it as an example)
avkhatri
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind!! I solved my problem! I just went to ATI's official website and downloaded/installed the appropriate driver for my hardware. I should have thought of that earlier but I didn't think it would be that easy ;). Video playback is perfect now
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: