View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newgentoouser88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Xorg failed to start, virtualbox to realbox Reply with quote

I've reposted this from the unssupported software thread as i think this might be the proper place for it....

I've attempted something rather ambitious on my part... let me explain...

Im attempting to setup a server for a game, the server will run a program called Proxitar, it pulls system messages from the web api and alerts players on Mumble (voip service) via audio that an enemy has entered our clan's city. Still with me? The programmer who wrote the program has made the program open source, HOWEVER apparently the way he set everything up to work was "not trivial" so instead of telling everyone how to install the program on their own linux box, he instead created a virtualbox image of a gentoo system with everything preconfigured. he doesn't even distribute the source, if i wanted to i could take it from the install as he has it there.

My problem was that the server im trying to use it on is older, and doesn't run virtualbox very well... took 4 hours to boot. 30mins to load terminal... SO, i got the bright idea of turning the virutal box into a real box - Realization :D - I succesfully did this. However the Xserver does not start. I can log in, but startx does not work, and Xorg - configure tells me that there is no video device to configure and only lists vboxvideo.

My question - Is there anyway to make the system recognize all my devices via terminal?? I did a ifconfig, and its only showing lo so its not recognizing my nic, and im assuming the audio device isn't either... So im assuming its still using the devices from the virtual machine, is there anyway to reconfigure this?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.... I have NEVER had to turn to forums for help, but i can't find any information on what im trying to accomplish... somebody please point me in the right direction or give me an ultimatum please :D

If anybody is wondering, the game is Darkfall online, a very cut throat game in which this program would be HIGHLY usefull as players aren't always paying attention to the system messages.
bjlockie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're using the kernel he made?
I don't think that kernel has all the drivers for your hardware.
I assume you don't know what specific drivers he added for the game so if you use a different kernel it will boot but no longer run the game.
You may be able to compile a kernel with EVERY option but I don't know if that is feasible.
newgentoouser88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, im using the kernal he built, ive done nothing to the system myself.
Its not a game that im trying to run, but a program. Its not an actual game server, but a server that runs a program which interfaces with a game server and a voice server... Its an old dell computer, i just want the video driver to work and the network card to work. both of which are intel based.

What do i need to do this without undoing the other stuff he has preconfigured? im pretty sure those two are irrelevant to the software working, however i need them to get it running! Do i need an install cd to install a different kernal? Can i do this without doing a clean install?

The only thing i can think of that might effect how the software is going to run is the audio driver, as he's stated that he had to configure pulse audio in a strange way for it to transmit audio over mumble.

As a complete newb to the gentoo OS... I'm not sure how to build a new kernal without removing everything else.. im kind of lost on how to do this, i've read a bit into the startup guide but still a little unsure on how this is done.

Again, Thanks for the help! :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: