Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GNOME's future with Gentoo - systemd as a dependency?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: GNOME's future with Gentoo - systemd as a dependency? Reply with quote

I've read in some places that systemd may be a dependency for GNOME sometime in the future (possibly as early as 3.4?). How true is this? Wouldn't things get a little messy with systemd and Gentoo since openrc is our default?

Do the Gentoo GNOME devs plan on skipping the systemd dependency or will everyone who runs GNOME in the future be required to modify their boot process to use it?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since GNOME OS is a fixed plan of RedHat, I doubt that gentoo is able to run completely against upstream who do everything they can to force systemd on you.
Maybe this can be avoided for a few minor releases, but not on the long run: If you want gnome you must use GNOME OS.
Actually, I hope that Gentoo will have the guts to kick out completely this factically more and more unfree system - some bigger distributions must show that users are not willing to eat this dictation anymore.
epsilon72
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do kind of like gnome-shell but I'm wary of this GNOME OS business (not just for what it does to non-systemd distros, but also for being completely incompatible with OS's like FreeBSD). I had no idea RedHat was involved with it though.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the German discussion forums there was recently a lengthy discussion about this.

It really seems that Redhat planned this on the long hand, and it seems they are also planning to drop desktop support almost completely (which from a commercial viewpoint makes sense, but one of the advantages of free software was that it was not a slave of the market).

Gnome is now actually focussing only on the smart phone/tablett market: Everything which made it is useful for the desktop is systematically being kicked out. The latest example mentioned in the discussion forums is the removal of all settings which made Nautilus useful.
If you look in the bugs how undemocratic the decision about this removal proceeded, you will understand why I call Gnome now a non-free system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: