View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: CDROM seeks periodically with no media in drive Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a PPC Mac-mini running the latest stable Gnome & kernel.

I've noticed that once I play a video in smplayer, the CDROM drive starts acting bizarre.

I am not using the CDROM at all. Any video I play is from the hard-disk or network, yet after playing a video, the CDROM starts seeking periodically.

What I mean is there is a seek, which I can only deduce is from the CDROM because it sounds like the CDROM is trying to access a disk. I suppose it *could* be the internal hard-drive, but this is too loud for it to be the hard-drive.

Anyway, the CD will attempt to seek or whatever, then fall silent for 5-10 seconds, then it will do it again. This goes on for hours until I reboot.

Once rebooted, it is quiet for hours or days if I don't play any videos. But once I do, it starts the pattern again.

I've checked to see if there is a zombie in memory after I quit smplayer, but there are no unaccounted-for tasks in the process list.

Does anyone have any insight on this? For example maybe a command I could send to reset the drive without having to reboot.

I've checked both dmesg and /var/log/messages for any hints that something might be wrong but haven't found anything.

Thanks.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like udev or udisks polling.
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu's udev has a patch, builtin-block-polling.patch:

Quote:
Description: Set default polling interval on CD drives as well. The events_dfl_poll_msecs will not trigger if "block" is not a module, but built in. This will avoid udisks etc. having to poll from userspace, and provide proper ejection when the hardware eject button is pressed.

Code:
ACTION=="add", ATTR{removable}=="1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}=="-1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}="2000"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: