Can't do a stage 1 installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baramin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Can't do a stage 1 installation Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I discovered Gentoo recently and am starting to really enjoy that distro. I do have a problem though with installing from stage1.

I'm now working on installing my 3rd gentoo box, and am experiencing the same problem I got with the 2 others :
installing from stage1 ends up with a xmalloc_set_program_name not defined in /usr/bin/as while compiling m4.

I've had that problem on K6, athlon-xp and athlon boxes (these are my 3 computers, don't know if it's CPU related, just giving some information in case someone knows about that problem). Each time I had to download a stage2 or 3 tarball and start from there.

I've set the CFLAGS, CCFLAGS, CHOST flags according to my computer, with what are considered safe values (nothing exotic) (e.g., last one I've tried, athlon 900 with CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu", CFLAGS="-march=athlon -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" and CXXFLAGS pointing to CFLAGS.)

Can't give you exact log as before thinking about posting here I've reformated the partition I'm installing gentoo to, and currently downloading a stage2 for my computer, but the error appeared while compiling getopt.c in the m4 package, and was definitly a /bin/as error complaining about not knowing xmalloc_set_program_name

These installs were made with a recent gentoo basic CD, though I'm not sure it's the x86-basic-1.4-20030911.iso one (it's definitly a 1.4 CD, but I don't remember downloading it prior or after 09/11.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows a solution. If only I had enough time to test today, I'd download the 20030911 CD to make sure I'm really using the latest one, but I have to go out and am hoping to run an emerge system while I'm out :)
Baramin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked, my basic CD is indeed the latest one, cdspec file reads :
Thu Sep 11 19:10:07 UTC 2003
ht.gentoo.org
x86-livecd-20030801
x86-doc-20030911
x86-basic-20030911
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1