System clock going crazy
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: System clock going crazy Reply with quote

I've got a really strange problem here. I set my hardware clock in the BIOS to the correct time, and now my system clock is going crazy _and_ it is changing the hardware clock. Whenever I adjust the time in the BIOS, as soon as I booted up Linux it sets the time to a random time/date. For example July, 19 1984 or August 2, 2002. Now when I look up the time in the BIOS, the hardware clock was also set to this random date/time.

I know that syncing my system time with a time server would solve this problem, but actually I'm more interested in knowing whats going on.

What is it? I cannot explain that. Spock would say, it's illogical.

Thanks for clues.

(Gentoo is the only OS; Mainboard is a Asus A7N8X Dlx.)
jasm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Had a similar problem. My clock was drifting by something like 20 minutes a day. I didn't have this problem when working with other Linux distros and that other OS.

In my case, the problem was created by "hwclock". This tool is called by the startup/shutdown scripts to load the system clock from the BIOS and store it again when shutting down the system.

So far so good but, if you read the man page of hwclock, you'll find out that it also tries to compensate for the drift that the BIOS clock is having. The information that is related to this drift is stored in /etc/adjtime. In my case, it turned out that the content of that file was just plain wrong. The situation got resolved by removing it. (The startup scripts wil recreate it with default content upon reboot).
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo is known to cause system clock problems, something to do with syncing system clock to hardware clock - could be workgin in reverse to what it is meant to do.

theres a guide to setting up ntp on the forums somewhere

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think it's working. I removed /etc/adjtime and rebootet the computer - and it actually 'holds' the correct time.

Thanks for your help.

I think I'll install chrony or something now... ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: