X86 or P4?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trouby
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: X86 or P4? Reply with quote

Hey all,

This is a little confusing, I know for sure that I'm going to install the Gentoo on P4, is it better to pick up the P4 dist? or to pick anyway the X86?

Also, why Gentoo is the only dist that have a special tuned version for P4/P3... :)

P.s - there is any performance document that compare between P3/P4 and the X86 version?

Thanks a lot.
Shinya
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>I know for sure that I'm going to install the Gentoo on P4, is it better to pick up the P4 dist? or to pick anyway the X86?

P4 dist. Stability _should_ be the same and speed _should_ be better. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise. ;)

>>Also, why Gentoo is the only dist that have a special tuned version for P4/P3...

Because it's one of the "selling" points of Gentoo to be optimizable to the machine you run it on. It just fits the whole concept.

>>there is any performance document that compare between P3/P4 and the X86 version?

Dunno, but I can guarantee the optimization will not make that much difference. Yes, some parts will be a lot quicker, but if those parts sit idle most of the time you wont notice it.

- Shinya
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trouby wrote:
This is a little confusing, I know for sure that I'm going to install the Gentoo on P4, is it better to pick up the P4 dist? or to pick anyway the X86?

If you are planning on doing a "stage3 + GRP" installation of Gentoo, you should use the P4 CDs because the precompiled packages will be optimized for your hardware.

The traditional way to install Gentoo is from "stage1" which involves compiling all packages from source-code. The advantage of this method is that everything is optimized the way you want, and it doesn't matter which CD you use (even a KNOPPIX CD works fine).
smith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really though.. for a person starting out,new to linux/gentoo... is there really that much diff between stage1 and stage3??
trouby
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, ye I guess there is a different, you start dealing with compiler parameters, compiling sources and stuff, much easier just to install binaries :)

Well, thank you all for the answers....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: