No Sound Device?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebonyseraph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: No Sound Device? Reply with quote

After recompiling my kernel for the upteenth time, I finally have something up and running. Now my program is with sound - its not there. Im talking deeper than installing the alsa-drivers and setting that up. All of the "links" aren't there. There is no /dev/sound/; no /dev/dsp/; no /dev/mixer; and no /dev/midi. Does anyone know why these aren't present? Does anyone know how I can get them there?

It was there before when I used genkernel, but now its not there. My custom kernel does have the sound card support module on(with nothing under it selected), and OSS Sound modules installed.

If it matters, I have an Intel 865PERL with onboard audio. I think the name of the card is ICH5 or AD1985. I'm not sure which but both of those have something to do with my card.

Note: If it seems like a really stupid question to someone. It's because I come from the windows world, and I dont know exactly why those appear there or not, when it happens, and what they represent.

[EDIT]
I also did: modprobe snd-intel8x0;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss but the modprobes couldn't find the modules.

[EDIT2] I also did modinfo soundcore and it outputted:
Code:

filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o
description: "Core sound module"
author:      "Alan Cox"
license:     "GPL"
[/code]
hindoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There is no /dev/sound/; no /dev/dsp/; no /dev/mixer; and no /dev/midi. Does anyone know why these aren't present? Does anyone know how I can get them there?

did you compile your kernel with /dev file system suport ?
ebonyseraph
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure yes. There are other things in there that work like mounting cd drives.
hindoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was there before when I used genkernel, but now its not there. My custom kernel does have the sound card support module on(with nothing under it selected), and OSS Sound modules installed.

as far as i understood /dev/sound /dev/mixer ... don't apear on your kernel configuration What kernel are you using now?
ebonyseraphim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back at the original post I realize that I phrase the question very badly.

When I boot using the current kernel, kdm starts up and I login. Normally, any devices you have are shown somewhere in /dev/. Sound things show up as /dev/{dsp, midi, or mixer}. But now they aren't there anymore.

Before I meant when I used the kernel setup using genkernel, they showed up, now they dont. Now I'm using/trying to build my own kernel.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem currently...they were there...then last re-compile they are gone...I went back to the old kernel and they are still gone...I miss watching my movies with sound...and reading lips is hard since they don't always focus on the person speaking... :roll:
purpleplatyduck
n00b
n00b

Location: The Great Unknown (which happens to be close to Kentucky, USA)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not knowing your situation, this likely won't help, but it's my experience with sound. i have a toshiba laptop, and acpi support must be enabled (and functional! i've had awful problems with that, but this is about your problems, not mine :) ) for sound to work. otherwise i come up with errors much like yours.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acpi enabled and working on my dell inspiron 8100 with an ess maestro3 card...wierd thing is it WAS working...and now it's not... :(
Herodot
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you must decide if you want ALSA or OSS. I'd choose ALSA. I'd also recommend not compiling as modules. The ALSA guide can give you specific instructions on this.

With pure ALSA, there's no /dev/dsp and those others. They are OSS devices only, and if you want them, you must have OSS (as well as ALSA of course) in your USE. Then re-emerge alsa-driver and alsa-oss, and they should appear. Oh, and you also have to modify something in devfs, I think - the guide will guide you.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the re-emerging as mentioned above fixed the files
Code:
(80p) root@psalms : /home/swells $ll /dev/sound/
total 0
crw-------    1 swells   audio     14,   4 Dec 31  1969 audio
crw-------    1 swells   audio     14,   3 Dec 31  1969 dsp
crw-------    1 swells   audio     14,   5 Dec 31  1969 dspW
crw-------    1 swells   audio     14,   0 Dec 31  1969 mixer
crw-------    1 swells   audio     14,   1 Dec 31  1969 sequencer
crw-------    1 swells   audio     14,   8 Dec 31  1969 sequencer2
(80p) root@psalms : /home/swells $ll /dev/dsp
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root            9 Oct  5 00:49 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp
(77p) root@psalms : /home/swells $
Kernel is compiled with OSS (I never could get pure alsa to work) drivers...same config that worked last

so how come I hear no sound? the volume is up fine and no go :cry: I miss hearing my mp3's
feardapenguin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read this correctly you are running alsa (with alsa-oss)? Which version of alsa-lib and/or alsa-driver did you emerge? The latest alsa version in portage is 0.9.7(-r1) which works for pure alsa apps.

The problem I've had is that the current version of alsa-oss is 0.9.6. This appears to be incompatible with the other 0.9.7 components. I run Codeweaver Crossover Plugin (which requires OSS) and have been unable to get sound using this mix of alsa versions.

The solution for me was to revert all alsa components (i.e. alsa-lib, alsa-driver, alsa-util, alsa-tools) back to version 0.9.6 (or -r1 where applicable). Both pure alsa and OSS apps now work.

HTH
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feardapenguin wrote:
If I read this correctly you are running alsa (with alsa-oss)? Which version of alsa-lib and/or alsa-driver did you emerge? The latest alsa version in portage is 0.9.7(-r1) which works for pure alsa apps.

The problem I've had is that the current version of alsa-oss is 0.9.6. This appears to be incompatible with the other 0.9.7 components. I run Codeweaver Crossover Plugin (which requires OSS) and have been unable to get sound using this mix of alsa versions.

The solution for me was to revert all alsa components (i.e. alsa-lib, alsa-driver, alsa-util, alsa-tools) back to version 0.9.6 (or -r1 where applicable). Both pure alsa and OSS apps now work.

HTH

it says I'm running 0.9.2...from an emerge -s alsa-lib alsa-driver

The last thing I did before the sound disappeared was I was typing to a friend on IM while playing a movie in mplayer, but I forgot to move my mouse to switch focus so I was typing this IM while the focus was on mplayer and that's when the sound disappeared)...dunno why but it's never worked since...I just hope that my sound card didn't crap out :P
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I messed and poked aroung...found something to try on these very forums (surprise? not really...lol). And it worked. I just added my user to the audio group...*shrugs* hope that helps someone else too!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: