Wasted Space in Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Wasted Space in Gentoo Reply with quote

/usr/portage/distfiles/ (every package you've emerged)
/var/tmp/portage (temp dirs for all packages you've emerged)
/lib/modules (look for dirs of modules for old kernels you don't use anymore)
/boot (old kernels you don't use anymore)

do a
Code:
 df -h
before and after you clean-up
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, hadn't thought about /lib/modules before. Otherwise there's really nothing new in this post. Please be kind to the disfile mirrors and only nuke /usr/portage/distfiles if absolutely necessary. They have to pay for bandwith too. There are already several scripts available on the forums for cleaning out stale distfiles without deleting them all.
jpmythic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Stale but not necessarily undeeded Reply with quote

Yeah it can get a bit crowded. BUT, with the price of 120GB HD's, who cares. You can easily add another HD, set links for those 3 dir's onto that HD, and maybe clean it up once a Month.
Now I've currently got em linked right now, as I only use a 1GB partition for Var.... (as I have been twiddling with both Development tools and Wine and Win4Lin -- it started to fill up). Instead of nuking them, I simply moved em to another partition.
So IF I screw something up, AND ntl craps on em again, (broadband connection -- got a free month out of them due to one screw up so far).... I dont need a connection to fix several apps if I need to.
I've found a liking for those files myself..... 8)
(Stilgar) -- What's Plan B?
(Mythic) -- Run
(Dragon) -- What's Plan C?
fusibou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stale but not necessarily undeeded Reply with quote

jpmythic wrote:
Yeah it can get a bit crowded. BUT, with the price of 120GB HD's, who cares. You can easily add another HD, set links for those 3 dir's onto that HD, and maybe clean it up once a Month.

Not everyone has extra money for computer hardware. I could spend $100's upgrading hard drives on two machines or simply do a few rm -r's.

As for nuking distfiles, what difference does it make once your system is setup? This is not the portage tree, this is just the files you download. If you upgrade software, you download a whole new file anyway. I don't see the use of keeping the already-installed versions there.
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often a revision to an ebuild just changes configure options or introduces a patch. Thus many updated ebuilds can use the tarball already on you system without downloading a new one. So yes, nuking your distfiles does make a difference.
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wasted Space in Gentoo Reply with quote

fusibou wrote:
/usr/portage/distfiles/ (every package you've emerged)
/var/tmp/portage (temp dirs for all packages you've emerged)
/lib/modules (look for dirs of modules for old kernels you don't use anymore)
/boot (old kernels you don't use anymore)

Code:
 # cd /var/tmp/portage
# du -sh
15M   .
# cd /lib/modules/
# du -sh
5.7M   .
# mount /boot   
# cd /boot
# du -sh
7.0M   .

Let's not be silly now...

If you want to `rm -rf /usr/portage/distfiles` that's one thing, but don't expect everyone to. Instead, you could read my post to this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=83910

The only thing I'd pay attention to is half-built packages in /var/tmp/portage. Those "work" directories can potentially take up a lot of space. I've had to remove a few of those manually in the past.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: