Noob - Getting errors during bootstrap
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapeless Planet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Noob - Getting errors during bootstrap Reply with quote

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting and like, 5th time trying to install Gentoo. I actually had it working yesturday from a stage 3 on my Athlon-XP but I was getting errors while emerge -uD world
I decided to give it a rest and watch some tv. My computer was in kde minding its own business and i hear this hidious sound from the other room. I come in and it was my hard drive! The thing crashed, right as I had gotten Gentoo installed and in a GUI for that matter! for the first time.

Oh how i was p*ssed. Anyways. Enough about my bad fortuine. I found an ol' 10 gig ATA66 hd and threw it in there and decided I would dive into a stage 1. I got all the way to the make.conf and decided to read up. I did -march=athlon-xp or whatever and added the -03 -pipe and a coouple others that people had recommended as good and stable for the athlon-xp. I also read up and got my USE flags all set up. Everthing was going good.

I start the bootstrap and go to bed.
Wake up today excided about finishing my Gentoo install and I have the following:
"!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.2.3-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 371, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)"

further up on the screen I see that right before the bootstrap ended this was printed:

"hda: dma_intr:status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error =0x40 {UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=197142, sector 52552
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 52552
make[3]: *** [libgcj.la] Error 1"
It goes on with a few other hda dma errors and things about leaving directorys.

Is it something I put in make.conf? Or is this saying that I have corrupted sectors on the HD and thats why it wont compile?

My only other option is an old ATA33 10gig from a compaq that i was supposed to rebuild for a friend.

ATA33 just seems so nasty though. I mean, whats the point of oober customizing my system if its just gonna be run off a drive that crappy. lol

The other thing I suspect is maybe the ram... But Not as much as I did now that I realze there are errors about the hard drive.

Any insight would be lovely.

Thanks in advance,
Shapeless Planet
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds definitely as if your harddrive is on the way to hell - i'd back up all data and try to recover it with a manufacturers repair tool (many companies provide dos disks for that) - it will probably also help to turn down dma and pio in the bios - it will be slow as hell but work more relyable.

however once a disk starts to make troubles, it usually doesnt improve, if i was u i would get a new one...
Peaceable Frood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to buy a nice large drive for a realitively cheap price now a days, I myself should invest in another one.
Shapeless Planet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this system has just been thrown together.
(old athlon-xp 1800+, 128 megs of crappy SDRAM (just got another stick of unknown size from a friend to upgrade), crappy mobo, etc etc the list goes on and on.) But as far as HDs, they've been sitting around and I didnt really want to spend 40 bucks on a hard drive from price watch. Another friend of mine told me I could swing by his place tomorrow after school and pick up a hard drive that he is not using; he just wanted time to format it.

Only problem with it is it's suffering from double clutch.
ie: wont spin up every time you start the machine so you have to hit the power and shut it down, then turn it right back on again, and the extra boost of energy finely gets the drive to spin up. I figure, its 60 gigs, and if I can get it to spin up, i'm cool with it. Besides, I wont have to deal with it very often. I hardly ever shut down.
Manu-BE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: World, North Emisphere, Europe, Benelux, Belgium, Wallonie, Hainaut, Borinage, Mons [Target Located]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem and my secondary HDD was broken ! Try to disconnect other HDD's if you have ...

Linux user #321297.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: