View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whosrodney
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: Desktop choice Reply with quote

Hi, I'm fairly new to Linux and am wondering which is the best desktop for me. I'm currently running Nforce2/Redhat 9 and KDE, which I mostly like, except for the fact that I can't get sound to work (I think it it some sort of Arts/Alsa/AC97 conflict). However, I'm going to switch to Gentoo soon and so I thought I'd ask this question. My main concerns are: good sound/video support, low overhead, and a simple gui, respectively. I originally thought KDE was what I wanted but the Arts/Alsa conflicts disillusioned this notion. XFCE looks good, but from what I hear there isn't a whole lot of sound support. And though I've never used Gnome, from what I hear it is a bit large and inefficient. Any help is appreciated.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Desktop choice Reply with quote

whosrodney wrote:
that I can't get sound to work (I think it it some sort of Arts/Alsa/AC97 conflict).

You just have to configure arts to use alsa..

whosrodney wrote:

However, I'm going to switch to Gentoo soon and so I thought I'd ask this question. My main concerns are: good sound/video support, low overhead, and a simple gui, respectively.

Pretty much anything can fit that bill, depending on what kind of system you have. KDE and GNOME are probably the most bulky (and full featured of the pack), but have enough customization that they can have a simple GUI.

None of them really have any better sound/video support than the other. KDE has arts, and GNOME has gstreamer, but they are pretty much ways to access outside libraries. Other environments like xfce, fluxbox, and kahakai all can access KDE and GNOME apps, as well as other multimedia programs (mplayer, xine, xmms)

whosrodney wrote:

And though I've never used Gnome, from what I hear it is a bit large and inefficient. Any help is appreciated.

From my experience, GNOME is more CPU-hungry and KDE is more RAM-hungry. Both are pretty cheap these days, but you may not have either. =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: