Terrible DIY experience
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
debian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Terrible DIY experience Reply with quote

These are some good DIY tips for some people, and a good laugh for some others. :D

I bought two Athlon MP 2000+ and a dual mobo ASUS A7M266-D for the upgrade(so as to compile faster :P). However, when I plugged them in and switch on the power, there's nothing shown on the screen. No beep sound was heard.

I did not realize something terrible was happening until I sensed the burining smell. In just several seconds, my two MP and mobo ALL BURNT OUT! :cry:

Then I realized I forgot to plugged in the heatsinks on two MP! You know, it was alright to swtich on a Pentium without heatsinks, as it'll just halt gracefully, however, AMD's CPU will just MELT without them!

Then I made another mistake. I got electric shock when I attempted to disassemble them. Never, NEVER disassembling defective equipment while the power is plugged. :(

Quote:
(To mrchuckles: I dare not pay US$700 just for experiment. At work we assemble all the Pentium servers from parts on our own. We usually do a powerup test before putting all the parts together, but not in this case with Athlon MP. I write to notify people paying extra attention when dealing with AMD's product. Especially when the circuit is short, powerleak might happen, which we've been warned all the time but neglected. And yes, this could be a good laugh as I said. :))

I thought it's a total lost. To my surprise, I got them all replaced without charge! :lol: The AMD and ASUS dealers gave me brand new replacement without a question. That was quite a decent surprise. Hat off to AMD and ASUS's wonderful services. :wink:

Now the system is up and running. One further tips. When you upgrade from Athlon Thunderbird to MP you might got kernel Oops like:

Code:
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereferencing at virtual address ....

You must flash your mobo to the latest patch(using 1006 now), and then fire up your rescue disk and do the kernel recompilation again. I failed to get it compile under gentoo-2.4.19-r7 but I got it compiled with mjc-2.4.19_rc1. Now the system is running like flying.

That bit of information that may be useful to those who'd like to upgrade to Athlon MP.

Last edited by debian on Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:34 am; edited 5 times in total
mrchuckles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Then I realized I forgot to plugged in the heatsinks on two MP! You know, it was alright to swtich on a Pentium without heatsinks, as it'll just halt gracefully, however, AMD's CPU will just MELT without them!

Then I made another mistake. I got electric shock when I attempted to dissemble them. Never, NEVER disembling defective equipment while the power is plugged.

Is this some kind of humor/parody article, are you really that green when it comes to building boxen? It sounds like the lesson to be learned here is to learn and experiment on worthless gear before trying to build a box using expensive equipment.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch...

I thought AMDs chips had thermal sensing now... or is that just the Mobile line?
CoronaLover
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch!
i know ppl who forget to plugin the fan of the HSF but the whole HSF..
wow
bonkalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it a few times by accident, and a few on purpose just to test if the machine actully works. Luckly, i have ALWAYS owned INTEL, and never lost a chip

Last edited by bonkalot on Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
thinker5555
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man... this is not what I need. This sounds like what just happened to me last night. :cry: Nothing on the screen, and a faint "hot" smell. I didn't see anything bad, though, when I opened the case, and everything was plugged in where it was supposed to be.

Welp, thanks for the pointer... *sigh*

Jeremy

EDIT: I found out that my CPU fan was what actually went. It turns out my mobo (Soyo Dragon Lite) has a feature that will kill the system when the CPU fan goes bad. Woo-hoo! My mobo and proc are fine. 8)

Last edited by thinker5555 on Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Ouch...

I thought AMDs chips had thermal sensing now... or is that just the Mobile line?

The AMD MP series has thermal sensing , but not all main boards support it , it also has to be enabled to .... :wink:

Cheers
Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: