View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero_effect
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] No sound and no terminal Reply with quote

After being away from my home PC for almost half an year, I have decided to update my system. Consequently, now I have some weird problems with pulseaudio and udev. Pulseaudio does not enlist the internal audio device after restarting the system. It could be solved by killing pulseaudio, but I am personally looking for a better solution. On the other hand, I have one of the common problems with openrc, where it does not mount /dev/pts properly. Adding dev-umount to sysinit does not solve the problem for some reason and it is still not possible to use gnome-terminal. However, mounting /dev/ptmx to /dev/pts works, but it is still too inconvenient to manually mount it every time.

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Zero_effect on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -auvND --with-bdeps=y world && revdep-rebuild && dispatch-conf

expect problems. This will probably fail. 6 months is really really pushing it for a system update. To kill a fly with a sledge hammer, you can try emerge -e system world && dispatch-conf

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Zero_effect
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have resolved most of the dependency hell beforehand, so that is not my main issue. However, if I don't find a solution, I might consider rebuilding everything.

P.S. As suggested by someone in the bug report (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=438932), I have unmasked udev-init-scripts-17-r1 and now half of the issues are resolved. Now I have to figure out why pulseaudio is failing to initialize the internal audio device at its first run.

P.P.S. It turns out that the second problem is somehow related to timidity, so I have disabled it and everything is working fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: